SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kpaquette_gw

Very Newbie question - what would you do with these doors?

kpaquette
15 years ago

Hi all....sorry if this is a tedious question - I searched this forum and didn't find any old threads that answered my question.

We're renovating an 1850s Victorian, and I'm not sure what to do with the front doors. They are original to the house and are caked with 150 years of paint. I would repaint with high gloss when they're done.

I called a furniture refinisher to see about having them dipped. He quoted me $350 per door, plus time/materials for removing the glass and replacing the trim around the glass with new molding. So I'm guessing having these 2 doors stripped would cost over $1k and that's not in the budget considering all the other work we're doing on the house.

My husband and I could tackle it as a project later down the road but I'm afraid we'd be in over our heads. When I suggested this to a family member (who has lots of carpentry experience) he responded with a SERIOUS belly laugh.

What would we be getting into if we attempted to strip these doors? And what method would you use? Or, does $1k seem reasonable? I thought it was crazy high but i know refinishing can cost $$.

Sorry for the pic - this is the only one I have at the moment (this is a long distance renovation.)

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath