SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancyj

Adding exterior trim, maybe siding

nancyj
17 years ago

Hello - I've been reading a lot and find these forums very informative. I'm hoping to gain a little insight into my possible home project.

We have a 2 story, 2300sqft home that has wood shake siding on the front, with the remaining 3 sides stucco. The 3 sides look very plain so I considered adding wood shake to make the look uniform and more interesting. The one estimate I received was $60-100K bc they'd have to remove the stucco and add wood to nail into. Does this sound even remotely accurate (vs. the $10K-ish I thought it might be), or is it extreme? I realize this is the window forum, but this siding question is a pre-cursor to my window question.

If I can't do siding, I'd like to add some trim to the exterior of the windows to dress up the exterior since they currently have nothing. I spoke to one contractor and he said it's often difficult to put trim on top of stucco as an add-on to the windows bc it ends up looking crappy, with open joints, etc. True, or do I just need to find the right installer? If the latter, what type of contractor should I contact?

I realize these are somewhat high-level questions, but I'm trying to determine whether I should even attempt to go down the siding/trim path, or just move forward with the desperately needed paint job without the siding/trim.

Thanks in advance.

Comment (1)