SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurels4u

What is it with husbands?

laurels4u
16 years ago

On quite a few posts, I've read about families who are in financial distress or who have come out of a financial bind yet husbands seem to know no limits when it comes to spending money on their children. My husband does the same thing. Every two weeks, after I've deposited "our" paychecks, paid "our" bills, and have done "our" grocery shopping, I tell DH how much money is available for the next two weeks, which is NOT much for the two of us to survive on given the cost of gas, unexpected car repairs or house repairs, etc. Yet, somewhere in that two weeks, he manages to overdraw the account on stupid stuff that he and SS do not need. I've heard the excuse that he doesn't want to deny the boy anything because his parents weren't always able to give him what he wanted but when will enough be enough? When the sheriff shows up on the step and nails the foreclosure note on the front door? Furthermore, DH's parents are now very rich and have bought the SS a dirtbike, motorized scooter, expensive clothing, basically whatever he wants in attempt to buy his love. We on the other hand, are just ordinary people working common jobs, without big paychecks. First of all, I don't believe in buying gifts for the sake of buying someone. Second, we quite simply can't afford it.

What I'm really having a hard time understanding is, while we dated, DH traveled with his check register and every time he took money out of his account, he immediately recorded it. If we went out to eat, he recorded it. He did it all himself. Now that we're married, the register sits on our dresser! What's up with that?!?!

The final straw came last week. SS was home for the weekend. I told DH how much $ was left so he knew how much we had to work with for the next two weeks, and guess what? He took ALL of it to take the boy to car shows, out to eat, went grocery shopping because he didn't like the brands of cereal, bread, jelly, peanut butter, soda, and popcorn that I bought. I took his credit/debit card from him. I've had it. He's out of town this week and while he's gone, I'm making a list of our expenses vs. wants/needs. I'm hoping to make some progress when he comes home because something needs to give. How have any of you handled this tough subject?

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz