SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
comkow_gw

Windows w/ U-rating less than .30

comkow
15 years ago

I started researching windows last February in anticipation of replacing approx 10 windows this fall. I just picked up the literature I collected last winter to start the process again and have found that most of the windows I was considering are U-rated fairly the same at .30.

I have literature from Alside, Harvey, Simonton and Certainteed.

I do realize that the U-factor is not the only thing to consider, but thought I would start there and try to get some other manufacturer names and start comparing the other factors as well.

To give you some information, we are located in lower NY state. The back of our house faces Southwest and we have no trees, so in the winter we get very cold gusty winds and in the summer, very hot sun. The wind is the first factor we would like to deal with since I cannot stand being cold and the cost of heating your home these days is very scary (U factor). If we have drafty windows, it is lost money. On the other hand, we don't run our A/C that often during the summer. We like the fresh air as much as possible and we can pull the blinds to block some of the afternoon sun (SHGC factor).

Thanks for any and all help.

Comments (10)