SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
execrecruiter

Replacing a Basement window

execrecruiter
16 years ago

Prior posts have skirted the issue I am having, but I haven't found the answer to solve my problem.

I have an old fashioned basement window that hinges from the top, and opens inward. It is currently framed directly to the concrete foundation, 1 1/4" on each side, with the window hinged to the framework. I an doing a remodel of the basement area. The foundation is 12" thick. The width of the existing window opening is 36". I will be cutting the concrete, to give me an additional 6" in height, to 28" of opening. We are doing this exercise to gain light, air circulation, and if need be, another window for egress (even though it doesn't actually meet the code, the fire dept has passed us for our other means of egress). So far, the window companies want me to install a 2x4 to form a rough opening, and then attach the nailing fins to that. That defeats the entire purpose, since I will then lose everything I've gained, in the framing.

I need a way of attaching an awning window directly to the concrete opening, without the nailing fins. Should I try masonry straps? I have considered taking aluminum strips, 2" wider than the frame, attach it to the window, then attach the strips to the concrete with tapcons. Any other suggestions? Thank you.

Comments (6)