SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eliotvale

Fiberglass Horizontal Sliding/Gliding Windows

eliotvale
16 years ago

I have a post & beam contemporary in New England. Almost all the existing windows are large aluminum-frame dual-operable horizontal sliding windows. Unfortunately the seals on many of them are gone. The manufacturer is likely long gone.

I want to keep the horizontal sliding style, the large size, and the ability to operate the window in either direction.

I've ruled out wood because it is too heavy to move these type of windows. I tried Marvin windows - it is way too heavy to move now - never-mind when I am elderly. I think the Anderson composites will be also heavy.

I'm hesitant of vinyl for quality and color reasons. My house is dark wood inside and out almost no white.

So I want to consider fiberglass - though I don't see any suppliers in New England for horizontal sliding windows. I'm thinking that fiberglass will be lighter, stronger and less susceptible to expansion problems.

What are the problems associated with fiberglass and are there any New England suppliers for horizontal gliding windows?

Thanks for any and all responses.

Comments (2)