SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steph2000

Omega vs Dura Supreme - and glide doors?

steph2000
9 years ago

I've been working hard to narrow choices for cabinets, but somehow just managed to add more options to the list in the past week or so instead of take choices away. I'm still committed to going frameless, though the designers are not necessarily supportive of that commitment.

First question is what do you think of the quality of Dura Supreme compared to Omega? I don't yet know the difference in price point between these two brands, either. In the research I have done so far, I don't see nearly the owner complaints about DS as I do O. But, I'm not sure what that really tells me, if anything. Does anyone have input as to the relative quality or price points of these brands while I figure out how to get estimates from both without spending thousands just to get that information?

Second question is about these new gliding doors from Omega. They look extremely slick for my one wall of uppers - which will terminate with a tight corner by my range hood. I like the idea of being able to slide open the cabinets without having a door in my face (my sink is on that wall, if it matters) or having it bang out close to the range hood/wall on the end. In thinking through the downsides, it seems like problem one is that you can't have two cabinets next to each other open at the same time. Problem two is the risk of failure over time, which would be magnified greatly if they stopped carrying this new product just released in 2014. Problem three is that I suppose it could limit hardware choices, though from the video it seems maybe not? Does anyone know anything about these doors?

Here's a video that shows how they operate.

Comments (21)

• ediblekitchen
    9 years ago

I like those sliding doors - very cool! We have the old fashioned kind of sliding doors for one of our upper cabinets (near a window) and for our large pantry. They can be a little hard to slide open and close, but these new ones look super easy.

steph2000 thanked ediblekitchen
  • Related Discussions

Medallian vs Dura Supreme vs Decora vs Custom

Q

Comments (6)
    I'm getting the Medallion, Brookhill, for the kitchen and something a little different for the master bathroom, haven't decided on powder room yet as I want to pick out the limestone first and then the cabinet after that. HD seemed pleased with the construction, etc. Had Brookhaven and Woodmode in my previous home, was very happy with them but the KD told me I would double the price so........... Originally started out with someone our builder uses, custom, but I didn't like his design at all, changed things, asked for a certain thing, he ignored me and I wasn't thrilled with him. Then the builder told me that he has a hard time dealing with women, they should be seen and not heard and apparently the builder's wife had a problem with him as well and finally told him it was HER kitchen and she wanted the dishwashers where she wanted them, etc. So we went elsewhere and KD showed us Medallion..............
    ...See More

Dura Supreme vs Designers Choice Cabinets

Q

Comments (3)
    I have had alot of issues with my Dura Supreme cabinets. Out of 40 doors and drawers, 29 have been replaced and out of those replacements 15 had the same issues. The doors were not properly sanded before factory paint (off white) so there are dust and saw dust particles at every miter. The miters did not line up as well. The factory rep and my KD came out immediately after installation and said they had never seen the issues that I had. He took pics and Dura Supreme agree to replace. My KD sent out a refinisher to fix the issues on the 3rd set of doors and drawers. I have also noticed that the paint finish is coming off on some drawers. My cabinets are not even a year old yet. I do alot of cooking and baking and I feel like I have to use extra caution around these cabinets. My old cabinets took a beating and still looked great after 25 years. I often wonder if quality control was on vacation when my cabinets left the wharehouse. I don't understand how that many got past someone.
    ...See More

Dura Supreme/Innermost/Cabico

Q

Comments (4)
    My vote is Dura Supreme since I have them for over three years now. I love the way they look and the quality of the doors and drawers. I have them in BM Dove White.
    ...See More

Omega vs. DuraSupreme vs. Crown Point cabinets?

Q

Comments (12)
    All of these produce extremely high quality products. I do think that Crown Point would be the most expensive. I used their Prairie style doors as my inspiration but had my own design made by a local cabinet maker. As others posted, a talented kitchen designer is going to be more critical to your end product than your choice of brands among these three since the actual cabinets are going to be high quality - it's the design using those cabinets which is critical. In terms of price, until you can provide the designers with a proposed layout and get some sense of what the same cabinet configuration with the same doors/wood species would cost but that would really just give you a sense of relative pricing rather than what the final design would cost because it's all the details that add up - and also provide increased functionality. Crown Point Cabinets has no dealers so everything is ordered directly through them. I think their cabinets are fabulous but I personally wouldn't order them unless I was working with a kitchen designer/designer because I would not want to take responsibility for measuring and ensuring that I was ordering properly and then coordinating with the GC etc. I worked with a designer and a GC and I was more than happy to have them handle all the inevitable snafus.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    ProSource Memphis
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It's Hafele hardware. Best quality.

I think that any line you research will have negative reviews. Unhappy people tell a lot more people than happy ones.

I will tell you that the only personally negative experience that I've had with Dynasty/Omega has been with doing stacked cabinets and one out of every couple of cabinets on this one order had very slightly higher sides. I'm talking less than 1/16th. With the decorative door ends and full overlay, you couldn't even tell. Except the very competent install team could tell! And didn't want to wait for the replacement cabinets that the company immediately offered them. So, they very carefully slightly planed down the overheight cabinet side. A less competent crew couldn't even remove that small of an amount off that accurately. And that is seriously the only "unhappy" experience that I've had with the company.

Except the kinda funny one where the customer insisted that the crown molding had come in two separate colors. When the rep and I visited, the crown was the same. The lighting in the hall was dimmer, making it look a different color. The rep was willing to replace all of the crown without even having to do a site visit. That was about 4K worth of compound crown. I asked the customer to wait the 3 days for the rep and I to do a site visit. And then she laughed at herself. Sometimes those things happen. :)

steph2000 thanked ProSource Memphis
  • Honu3421
    8 years ago

My Omega/Dynasty framed, reverse raised panel walnut cabinets were just installed in two bathrooms and a powder room. I realize you are going frameless, but I can tell you I am very pleased. They installed beautifully and the finish is very nice. The doors are shaker style with a bead or trim detail along the inside panel and eased outer edge. Omega offers a lot of options with regard to these details.

I did have a few problems which we knew might arise. Walnut grain is very busy and has a huge variation in color from sap wood to hard wood (light to dark). We knew there might be issues with either too much sap wood or too much variation in the wood grain - such as very dark grain next to very light sap wood. When the cabinets arrived, KD and I identified several drawer fronts and doors that needed replacement. KD just sent in the list and we received the replacements very quickly and without question. We kept all the replacements but I could have refused any of them if we were unhappy. Also, when we ordered the replacements I had two sink cabinet doors changed from full height to a false drawer plus shorter or standard door. There was no extra charge for this modification. My contractor was able to add a rail between the false drawer and the door by using the fill stock that the KD had ordered.

Early in the process I looked into Dura Supreme, but the information I received was that I could not get solid wood doors so I didn't pursue it further.

Finally, positive reviews posted by Pro Source Memphis was a big reason I was comfortable with my choice of Omega/Dynasty (still not sure which one I got, the hinges all say Omega). So thank you, Pro Source Memphis for the value you add to this forum and for making this important decision a bit easier for me.

steph2000 thanked Honu3421
  • steph2000
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It's nice to hear positives from both owners and dealers. It seems like I could be happy with either one of these products - and am more willing at this point to spend more money on cabinets than I have been in the past. I really hope the basic price estimates don't make me squeamish and I can move forward once and for all on cabinets so this show can get on the road.

I spoke with the local dealer for Omega yesterday and she spoke very highly of Omega. She said the hardware has a lifetime warranty, no questions asked, and that they have been very good about honoring it. She told me the bamboos offered by Omega are a 50% up-charge. Ouch. Cherry is 10%. I guess it's a good thing I am re-evaluating bamboo! She also indicated that the Omega comes with standard 3/4" plywood boxes. She also said they can make the sink cabinet with pull outs instead of doors. It seems more and more that cabinet lines are picking up on many of the nifty IKEA options, which is really sweet for people like me who don't have easy access to IKEA and don't have a huge budget.

I'm getting a basic apples to apples quote from both Dura Supreme and Omega and will take it from there. I'm glad to see more frameless lines to choose from up here, especially given IKEA/Semihandmade are no longer a viable option for me. I'll probably sit down at the computer and create a comparison estimate for Barkers, just to see. I just don't know that their paint finishes are quite as durable as these lines. At least with my Barkers samples, the paint seemed less cleanable and hard than I expected. Pretty, though.

Hous, do you have pics up of your Omega cabinets in your home yet? I'd love to see. Did you pay a 50% uncharge for walnut? It sounds like they were great about working with you to get the stain level consistent.

ediblekitchen - I'm kinda in love with those gliding doors - and like the look of the old ones that you have, though it sounds like they aren't necessarily gliding or sliding for you! The woman I spoke to yesterday said she hasn't yet installed the doors because no one has ordered them yet and she'd love to work with someone where she'd get to use them. I have to find out if they are only available on the slab doors, which seems likely... And, I asked for a basic breakdown of the added cost. We'll see.

girlguineapig - Wow. That's quite a huge gap in estimates! I'm hoping you have a kitchen 3x as big as mine so my estimates can be 3x lower. Or even half... Yikes, that's a lot of money in cabinets, especially for the Dura Supreme! Is your Omega kitchen in yet? Do you have pics? I'm a sucker for shaker, though I am liking the modified shaker Omega offers with that protruding bead, too.

ProSource Memphis - That's a pretty impressive record of "mistakes", really. It's reassuring to hear positive reviews and endorsements from people who work with these products all the time. I appreciate you taking the time to weigh in here - and on other threads.

• girlguineapig
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

We are still planning our kitchen (the entire house, actually). I'll be posting a new thread about my kitchen design by next week I hope. The kitchen is U shaped with an island, about 12' x 20' total.

We also got a quote for Crystal cabinets from a third dealer and the quote was $41,324.26 including tax and and delivery, and that was only for 8 foot ceilings instead of 9. 9 foot ceilings would have been $47,797.89. We got the Dura Supreme quote first, then Crystal, then Omega and by that time Omega felt so cheap! I think dealers vary a lot in their markup. We will likely be getting a lower tier brand of cabinets for the bathrooms. I am interested in UltraCraft frameless but our designers keeps pricing out Medallion since it's cheaper. I think she's more budget-conscious than I am! I really want to maximize the drawer space in our bathroom vanities, though.

I'm not sure which door exactly the designer used in the quotes; Covington perhaps? We'll take a closer look at the different choices later. If you pick Omega you'll have to tell us what doors/stains/colors/woods you end up using and take photos eventually. :)

DeWils is another line that has a lot of choices for bamboo, but the designer said it's more expensive than DuraSupreme. We love bamboo too but decided we will get horizontal grain bamboo floors instead of cabinets - much more economical that way!

steph2000 thanked girlguineapig
  • steph2000
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So far, I have a bid for a basic outline of what I want for layout, though not final, from DuraSupreme. Still waiting for the Omega one to come in so I can compare apples to apples. I have to say, though, I was pleasantly surprised by the Dura Supreme bid, which came in at about 15K including a 1,400 up-charge for the bamboo.

• Buehl
    8 years ago

We have a mix of Omega Dynasty & Omega Custom - but framed. We love them. In fact, if I ever remodel again, Omega is #1 on my list - the finishes are great (and consistent), their hardware has been great, I could go on.... :-)

Very important...their customer service is superb!

We had ordered extra shelves for our cabinets but the design center lost the first set. Then, when a second set was ordered, they ordered the wrong shelves. Back they went. In the meantime, the design center closed and one of the corporate office's lower-end companies took over. They lost the shelves too! When they reordered, they also ordered incorrectly. This time, they refused to reorder even though these were ALL their mistakes. I called Omega and they said not to worry about it and that they would send them directly to me and they would deal with the company. They arrived a couple of weeks later and were perfect!

(That story is typical of how our remodel went, btw! We had such a difficult time as any old timers can tell you (if they remember all my posts!))

steph2000 thanked Buehl
  • jdesign_gw
    8 years ago

RE: gliding door. These are called "coplanar doors". Popular in Europe for some time. The hardware for this is sold by a few companies but most likely it's all from the same Italian company "Bortoluzzi." They make some interesting stuff. There may be others out there but this is the brand I'm familiar with and will be using on a job in a few weeks. I can tell you that this product doesn't come cheap. There are different sizes available some for closet doors. They even have a motorized version for that application.

steph2000 thanked jdesign_gw
  • homepro01
    8 years ago

The sliding door system is the Hafele system. It is sold by Sugastune in the US. See the link below. They are very slick.

Sugastune Multi Motion Door System.

steph2000 thanked homepro01
  • jdesign_gw
    8 years ago

The Sugastune "muli-motion" system is not what's shown in the video. Am very familiar with that one. It's been around awhile. Seen it at the trade shows over the years. It has a bottom rail which acts as a handle build in to it that you have to engage to move the door. Not nearly as nice as the newer ones. Hafele does have the "Frontino" coplanar system. Not sure who the manufacture is on theirs.

• User
    8 years ago

Leicht Kitchens have been offering gliding doors for a while. I believe they use Hafele parts. I think they look much nicer than Sugastune's. Plus Leicht, while less $$, like so many other European manufacturers offer so many nifty options.

We're going with Ikea cabs ourselves, but we're thinking of buying the gliding hardware for a row of tall pantry cabs. If we could get the cost of a Leicht kitchen back at resale, we would buy one of their lines, but alas, that's probably not the case.

steph2000 thanked User
  • jdesign_gw
    8 years ago

Just to be clear Hafele is a distrubitor. They do have a few items made for them that they private label like a drawer system, some lift door hardware and their LED lighting system but mostly they sell other manufacturers products. Cabinets have to be built a certain way to accept the coplanar hardware.

• User
    8 years ago

jdesign_gw: thats good to know, thanks for the info.

steph2000 thanked User
  • jdesign_gw
    8 years ago

The coplanar hardware I am using is sold in the US by Salice. The Italian manufacturer of it is "Bortoluzzi". Hafele's may also be from them or from another European manufacturer bit there's not a lot of people making this. Just got a big order from Hafele last week. Pull-out pantries and stuff. These are from the German manufacturer "Kessebohmer" which Hafele distributes here in the US.

• steph2000
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Is there consensus here about what kind of gliding system Omega is using for their doors as seen above? It doesn't seem like the video shows a bottom rail. The main hardware SEEMS to be on the inside center part of the cabinet where the two cabinets connect that share the doors back and forth? And it seems like MAYBE the exterior pulls are part of the system if you have stacked drawers/cabinets? With the shots they are showing of other applications, though, they have hardware running vertically instead of horizontally, so it doesn't seem like the exterior hardware is necessarily part of the mechanism? At least it seems that way when I watch the video, which I have a zillion times... My partner is sick of hearing it. "It's a new thing, baby, it's a new thing."

I figured it wouldn't be cheap, jdesign. But, if the bid comes in below DuraSupreme AND it would increase function of the one wall of uppers I have to contend with, I might splurge on it. My sink and dishwasher will be on that wall and how nice would it be not to have to tilt back my head or step back to open the cupboard? And, I've been kind of worried about the door swinging on the end of the cabinetry where it hits the wall and the range hood. This would basically obliterate those concerns, so far as I can tell?

I'm just a little iffy on going with slab doors on top and bottom, but I see one image in the video with shaker-appearing doors. I keep shifting more and more modern, which might ruin my aim for "zen modern cottage" vibe I am trying to aim for.

The other techie goodie I might splurge on is the garbage pull-out mechanism that allows you to bump it open with your knee or hip or whatever. It seems like it would really help that cabinet stay cleaner and help it hold up over time...

• jdesign_gw
    8 years ago

I don't know what a cabinet company would charge for this set up. I only know my wholesale cost for the hardware. There is an upper cabinet version and a base cabinet version. On one the horizontal sliding system mounts over top of the cabinet. In the base unit it mounts inside the cabinet on the upper lid. The doors are connected by vertical bars to the mechanism with a small glide track on bottom. The trash mechanism is a done with a "Blum" servo drive kit. Ikea also a version of this from Blum also. You can add servo drive to all the drawers if you want. The one that I think is the coolest is Blum "Aventos" lift doors with the added servo motors.

• steph2000
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Well, I'll soon know what the upcharge is for these doors through Omega. I'm on pins and needles for my estimate! We are only looking at about 120" of uppers on one continuous line, so it doesn't seem that crazy to consider it in our case.

When you say "over the top of the cabinet", though, do you mean the hardware is on the top of the upper externally? Because that seems like it could create some problems for us in terms of crown and short ceilings? In the video above, the hardware seems to be on the inside of the cabinets, on the side and top?

• jdesign_gw
    8 years ago

The video cuts off the top of the cabinet in most shots. What you see inside the doors are the bars that attach it to the top mechanism which also run in the bottom guile track. If you look a picture that someone posted above you can see the aluminum track cover above the cabinet. Typically there is no crown molding with this style of contemporary cabinets.

• Honu3421
    8 years ago

Hi Steph:

I am so sorry, I just saw your questions about my cabinets. I have not been getting email responses to my posts - I think (hope) I just changed my settings to correct that. Anyway, pictures of my cabinets are just not turning out very well. I will try again in the next few days if it is not too late for you. Also, many of the doors are off and the bad doors are still on....so not real pretty at the moment. No, I was not charged 50% upgrade for walnut. My walnut upgrade was equal to cherry upgrade. Keep in mind, however, my cabinets are Dynasty. I think you are looking at Omega and I think that is where the higher cost comes in. My cabinets are only in the bathrooms, so I didn't feel I needed to upgrade to Omega.

Honu (another Steph)

steph2000 thanked Honu3421
  • steph2000
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, jdesign, for trying to talk me through how this gliding system works. Thankfully, one of the two companies who offer Omega just put up a display of the doors in their store this week! So, I get to go in and see them for myself!

Honu, I'm glad you found the thread again. It would be great to see your cabinets, when it is a good time for you.

I finally got my initial quotes back from Durasupreme and Omega. I'm still in the process of trying to ensure they followed my list so I can compare apples to apples. I'm relieved with both quotes, which I guess is the consolation prize of a small kitchen.

I didn't hold back much on the bells and whistles, so these numbers supposedly include thin end cabinets on both the fridge and the peninsula sides of the U for small pantry space, framing in the fridge, garbage pullout, microwave drawer, super susan, some drawer stacks, etc. The estimates also include costs for basic crown, light rail and toe kick. I asked to have them priced out in white shaker.

Both cabinet lines are the frameless lines. They offer 3/4" plywood boxes, dovetail drawers, soft-close, full extension.

Durasupreme Alectra came in at $17,528, discounted $800+ for a sale and another $800 if I pay cash - for a total then of $15,819. Shipping included. There was a $1700 up-charge for the bamboo on the lowers and fridge cabinet/pantry included.

Omega's Full Access quote came in at $13,478, including shipping. It says on the quote that this is a 50% discount... It would add a little over 2K to change the uppers to the gliding door system. Bamboo and wenge would be a 50% uncharge (ouch). I'm getting a second quote from this line from another company today.

The good news is that these numbers make both lines affordable for me. And, really, fairly comparable. The bad news is that I still can't find finishes in ANY line at ANY price point that I really like. I do love the Omega Metro door. That's about it, so far. It's really sad.

I know stained cabinets would hold up better and slab is more cleanable and I like the IDEA of stained/wood/bamboo/wenge lowers and white uppers. But, I don't really want slab doors on the tops. I don't want dark and I don't want super grainy/busy and I don't think my house can handle heavy. The house would like light woods, but I am just not a fan of maples, firs, oaks, cherries, pines, etc. I went into this adamantly against yellow, gold, orange or red tones. Now, I am considering bamboo, but DuraSupreme's reads pretty orange/yellow and Omega's are muted but a 50% uncharge! One thing that I haven't considered, but maybe I should, is rift oak. Maybe I could live with that?

Bottom line, I think I'm really a painted cabinet girl, trying to shove herself into a wood cabinet box SOMEHOW. And, all of that is probably for another thread...