SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dominogold_gw

Anyone have experience with sun blocking window films?

dominogold
17 years ago

We built a house 2 years ago not realzing the economy was about to take a dive and go into a recession. As a result we have a house on a corner with no immediate neighbors, sure there are people down the road. We have 15 windows on the back of the house. In retrospect we SHOULD HAVE got the Low-E glass windows. They are Jeld-Wen Norco brand wood clad windows. So without any neighbors and being a new sub there is ZERO shade and I mean ZERO and there won't be for years until someone builds behind us and my trees get bigger.

Our house faces straight east, which means the afternoon/even sun is BRUTAL. I swear the A/C runs from noon to 10pm straight before taking a break no joke. Many days it struggles to keep up.

My wife and I would like to look into some window film to help keep some of the brutal sun beating into the house every day all day. Do they actually work? Does anyone have experience with this? About how much are they? Is this a DIY job? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I did find this link is there other brands I should consider?

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/WF/3MWindowFilms/Solutions/Residential/

Thanks

Comments (7)