SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
huskyridor

question about ceiling fans

huskyridor
16 years ago

I recently changed the 3 fans in my outdoor pavilion from the original string pull 3 speeds to the Home Depot brand commercial grade ceiling fans because they'll move almost twice the air that the old ones would (9500cfm vs 5000 per fan). These have no strings and utilize a 4 speed switch.

The power used to flow through a switch on its way to the fans and I changed speeds by pulling the strings.

I added their 5 position switch (off and 4 speeds. It's rectangular like a GFI plug and the clicker goes up and down like a sliding dimmer) after my switch by placing a 2x4 junction box over the existing box.

My problem is that I have a really great high speed (twice the air as the old fans) and next to nothing on the 3 lower speeds. My guess is that on high all the voltage goes through the switch and I'm betting that the remaining speeds are based on one fan per 4 speed switch. Since I have 3 it's probably dividing the ideal voltage for one and making the fans run with a third of the power of what each fan needs to achieve proper speed RPM.

I can't make new runs to each of the other fans without doing a lot of carpentry work .

Do you guys think I could replace their 4 speed switch with a sliding dimmer and use the slider to regulate my speeds. I guess that they would then be variable speed depending on slider position.

I can post pic's if it'll help.

Any input from you guys would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

See ya,

Kelly

Comments (4)