SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mnzinnia_gw

question for guy re insulation around windows

mnzinnia
16 years ago

I am in the process of having siding and windows replaced. After looking at several brands and types we decided to go with Marvin Integrity after the lumber yard guy told us they could fit our windows but that the middle stile between the 2 casement sections would be enlarged to make them fit properly. He came out twice to measure and stated that twice. Great, because we really preferred intgrety to vinyl and the regular Marvins were too expensive for this modest lakehouse.

Fast forward to installation. The windows are smaller than the opening left by the older windows because, surprise, surprise,there was no wider stile. Guess we should have asked more questions after the company that we used previously(very good and hoped to use again) told us Integrity wouldn't work in that app. Apparently they know more than the guy who is supposed to know!

But my question is about filling the gaps. The contractor seems very careful and has cut wood to size up the opening. Careful about leveling and flashing around the windows and tyvek. But he is using fiberglass to stuff the remaining cracks rather than nonexpanding foam. When I asked about that he stated you never want to use expanding foam and although he has used the other type, he feels fiberglass will do a good job without potential problems of getting the window out of shape. I wonder about the small gaps that have no builder board( where there will be only fiberglass, then tyvek, then hardiplank). Am I going to have cold spots or moisture? Is his approach ok? I know there is not always just one acceptable installation method so would like your input.

Darn, I'm miffed because not only do I have that issue ,but will have to do some repainting and deal with drywall dust where the contractor has to patch. (I will request free paint from the building supply center--that seems the least they can do).

Thanks

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County