SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dawiest_gw

Re-insulating around windows

dawiest
11 years ago

Hello Everyone!

I am in the process of insulating around the existing windows in my 1972 split level house in Central PA. There is fiberglass insulation in the gap around the window. I have removed the wood trim from around the windows.

The gap around the windows varies, but it seems that it is filled with fiberglass. Some areas are brown, showing that air movement is a problem.

I am looking to replace the insulation with Great Stuff window foam. From reading around on the forums here, I have found that compressed fiberglass insulation is worthless for insulation. I am under the impression that air sealing is more important then R value in this case.

What all do I have to remove? I have already removed the trim, but there seems to be a second piece of decorate trim that is around the window, which the other trim was attached to. Do I have to remove that to get at the framing around the window for spray-foaming?

Should I remove as much insulation from around the windows as I can? How should I go about cleaning off the surfaces around the window to allow the optimal adhesion from the spray foam to produce as tight a seal as I can?

The gap varies on different sides of the window, and there is a plain wood 'frame' behind the stained trim pieces. how should I get the spray foam in around the wood where the gap is to small between it and the drywall? Should I cut away a bit of the drywall (being sure to leave enough to reattach the trim later) as to fit the nozzle of the Great Stuff spray foam inside, or should I just apply some of the foam directly to the wood and just cut away the excess? Or should I caulk the gaps that are to small, and with what kind of caulk?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Daryl

Comments (4)