SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rgsproule

Can I undo a prohibited wire splice?

rgsproule
15 years ago

I have an in-ground pool with an underwater light that was installed by a licensed contractor about 10 years ago. The pool light circuit runs from the main breaker panel, through my garage/house, and then outside (buried underground) to the pool. Recently I cut the wires of this circuit in order to reroute the conduit around and obstacle in my garage. I rejoined the wires with a single splice (used twist on connectors) inside a junction box which I added. I later determined that this splice is probably not allowed by code. As I understand it, Article 680 of California Electrical Code requires an "Unbroken ground wire (#12)from main service panel to pool light J-Box to be installed without a joint of splice." I take it they have this restriction in order to reduce the danger of an improperly grounded underwater light.

Is there a way (such as soldering??) that I could rejoin this cut ground wire without the connection being considered a splice?

Pulling a new ground wire through the conduit will probably not work. The conduit is packed tight with other circuit wires and run hundreds of feet with numerous twists and turns. Disconnecting the pool light is not a good option since an underwater pool light is required by code and we often use the pool after dark.

Thanks!

Comments (3)