SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vistajpdf

Ages and stages...

vistajpdf
16 years ago

Was reading the post about SS giving keys back and agree, given the circumstances, just have the locks changed in the least expensive ways (cylinders, I guess.)

The tangent about ages got me laughing. My son has a friend from school who is a little bit high maintenance. His mother doesn't do any of the things I consider 'right' in raising a boy regarding her personal life - always dating, making out w/ a guy in the school parking lot, ie, dressing inappropriately for school/work, etc. I often wonder what came first, the chicken or the egg...

Anyway, she called me the other day to complain about her life going downhill since her summer romance dumped her and her son came back from his father's - then added, "All the guys that are calling me now are ancient - one guy is 58 w/ a 4 y.o! Can you believe that?"

I let her talk, then gently added, "Do you know how old my DH is?"

She guessed and was way under. My DH is very handsome and looks great for his age.

I said, "He just turned 62 and we have a three y.o! And, the kids are keeping him young."

Well, any normal person would be embarrassed, but I don't know if she was. I had to laugh. I have a small email group who swear that 40 is the new 30, 30 is the new 20, etc.

I also laughed at someone on the other thread who gave the example of their mom seeming so old when she was the poster's age now - about a wedding and looking matronly, etc. I definitely believe that the chronologic age where one is considered 'old' completely increases w/ your own age, lol.

I also think that today, age is totally a state of mind. Down here (S.FL), many people are nicely tanned (yes, I know there's no healthy tan...), toned, and exercise their bodies and minds all the time, dress well, etc. Some people look amazing in their mid-50's and 60's, while others look and act "OLD". Sometimes I'll be treating an old man in my office, then realize he's YOUNGER than DH. Other times, it will be an OLD lady, who is also YOUNGER than DH. I'll even joke that he could be dating my friend's mother, age-wise, lol.

I've never smoked and do not drink at all. About 2 years ago, when I was 41, my SD wanted an alcoholic beverage while we were all out at a nice restaurant. She was 20, legal age is 21, and she asked me to get it for her. DH had no problem w/ it - being the non-drinker, I did - at least a little bit. Anyway, I proceeded to order it (a daquiri) and was 'carded.' Ironically, I hadn't taken a purse - just the diaper bag so I had no id. I tried to press my case, swore I was over 40, that the three little boys were my own and I didn't start having babies while I was in my teens, etc, and the waitress sweetly said, "I have to ask everyone who doesn't 30. Sorry, you probably are these boys' mom and you probably are over 21, but I can't serve anyone w/o an id who doesn't look 30." Well, she made my day and I changed the order to a virgin daquiri, which to me, is MUCH tastier! So, I got a compliment and didn't have to contribute to underage drinking, lol!

Anyway, just thought I'd add my $.02 to this age thing...

Dana

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living