SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vistajpdf

Ironic

vistajpdf
16 years ago

I had a patient in today who divorced when his DD was two. His ex-wife left him for the other man. He has since remarried and they have married. He and the other man get along very well, ironically, I can't imagine any of us women getting along famously w/ the other woman who ruined our home.

Anyway, a year or two ago, his DD, her mother and SF moved to TN. We are in FL. I said, "How did your ex pull that one off?" He replied that they all seemed so excited and would have a better quality of life, less crime, etc. so he didn't fight it, though often wishes he did. He said the ex promised to fly the DD down here every few months and it hasn't happened. He's hurt, but also understanding that she's in H.S. and has lots of activities, is bored when she comes here, etc.

I was thinking of Lily's post about women being so hard on one another and this whole scenario got me thinking more. I do not think I could ever be so gracious as my patient. He loves his DD - I recall years ago, he always was w/ her. His new wife and the DD get along great. The DD loves her SF - patient never told her he was the reason for the divorce. I don't believe he enjoys any freedom away from his DD, that the SM doesn't want the kid around or anything like that.

I commend him for taking the high road and allowing his DD to bond w/ her SF, despite his destruction of the marriage. He could have caused her to be extremely conflicted, acting out, etc. I wonder, though, if he didn't indirectly understand the affair. Before DD, he and the ex did everything together. After, they didn't have a sitter they trusted (sounds familiar to me....) so their lives came to a screeching halt. I guess she got him to babysit while she went on a manhunt???

I just don't see this working out had there been another woman. Do men really have the ability to just let stuff roll off their backs like that? I asked DH (he hates when I do these 'what ifs') if he'd be able to stay w/ me if he learned I had slept w/ someone else - even if it was years ago. He said that he wasn't 100% sure if he'd divorce me, but would never forgive or forget it and certainly wouldn't let me move a few states away w/ our kids and the other man! Couldn't blame him there. Maybe my patient is just a more amazing person than either DH or I could ever be in this respect? I was thinking of suggesting to him at his next appt. that he offer to fly a friend down w/his DD (now 16) - has that worked for any of you? I thought I saw this issue brought up recently?

Dana

Comments (16)

• lilysuzanne40
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think the difference is that men often internalize their anger.

It's often been said that men have affairs for sex, women for emotional intimacy. I read an interview with a marriage counselor who said that men who have been cheated upon or whose wives leave them often say they never saw it coming. It's only when the counselor probed further that she discovered the wife had spent years trying to get her husband to talk and share emotional intimacy. Many men are uncomfortable with that, so they resist and resist and resist and gradually the wife just gives up. He thinks she's resolved the issue. Years later, she has an affair or leaves him and he thinks it's come out of the blue, when in reality it was brewing for a long, long time.

I suspect your patient knew, deep down, that his wife had emotional needs that weren't being met and on some level understood why she reached out to someone else.

Women have a much harder time viewing the other woman with equanimity because while the husband views affairs as sexual in nature, for her his cheating is all wrapped up in how she feels about herself. (Why wasn't I good enough? What's wrong with me? Am I too fat? Too ugly? Too nagging, etc.) Women focus on the other woman because they see in her all things that their ex somehow though they were lacking.

Does that make sense? That's always been my theory.

• annkathryn
    16 years ago

Do men really have the ability to just let stuff roll off their backs like that?

Absolutely not. Even though my fiance had nothing to do with our divorce, my ex is insanely jealous of him and refuses to see that his behavior has an impact on my sons' relationships with my fiance. It takes an enormous amount of compassion and equanimity to forgive and move on.

Ann

• Related Discussions

need expert ironing opinions re: iron rack / rest

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi I have a Rowenta board with a rack. I bought mine for the rack as I had purchased a Rowenta 980 Steam Generator and the rack is made to work with this iron. It's a great iron and has a seperate boiler which is attached to the iron with a hose type of thing which the steam comes through. It steams for 1 1/2 hours on one filling and I am a strange one who irons my sheets! LOL I would have to fill a regular iron 4 times to iron 2 king size sheets and 6 pillow cases. I love this iron due to the fact that I can set the soleplate temp. lower and still have the iron steam and adjust the steam flow. Great idea!!! I looked at my board and the rack is attached with 12 pop rivets. If yours is attached the same way your husband should be able to cut the heads off the rivets and you should be able to remove it. The metal rod connecting both sides of the frame should just fall off. You may have to cut it. I don't know. Good Luck!
    ...See More

To Iron Or Not To Iron

Q

Comments (17)
    Thank you, Babka and sheilajoyce, for those explanations of sizing. I didn't know that was added to yarns. Since it looks like I won't be ironing this yarn, I was considering blocking the pieces (according to Anne's or Vickey's directions), but then I wondered what would happen after it was machine washed. Would I be wasting my time with the blocking . . . ? I will post pictures of my pieces later today along with the pattern's photo so you can see that the hexagonal shape of my work does not look quite like the photo.
    ...See More

ironing and irons

Q

Comments (2)
    The old irons are great but they have NO safety features. If you have kids, pets or are forgetful be very careful. Be sure the cord is perfect or get it replaced. I got a T-Fal iron on clearance at Target for about $25 that works great for quick jobs. It spits less than my Rowenta and is much lighter. I also got a Rowenta handheld steamer at QVC that I also like for quick jobs. Happy ironing!
    ...See More

Kohler Iron tones , cast iron sink??

Q

Comments (15)
    I have a white Irontones sink, undermounted. No scratches so far, I do have the Kohler grid in it. I had another Kohler cast iron sink in the kitchen before the reno, I love cast iron. I did consider a Silgranit, but couldn't find a white one to see in person, so I chickened out. The only picture I have handy is just after installation, before the strainer was even installed.
    ...See More
  • theotherside
    16 years ago

I have read of too many cases of men murdering the OM and/or the cheating wife to believe that men are more likely to let infidelity "roll off their backs."

As you know, I disagree that he "took the high road" by hiding the infidelity from his daughter when she was old enough to understand the concept.

I think there is more here than meets the eye. I think not fighting his exW when she wanted to move may have just been the easy road. I would question the depth of his love for his daughter if he is ok with her not visiting.

Why exactly is he sharing his life history with his dentist? How does he even talk when his mouth is full of implements? I can't imagine having a discussion like that with my dentist - or talking about anything that doesn't involve teeth for more than 20 seconds.

• southernsummer
    16 years ago

I know it's surprising, but doctors and dentists really do
    talk to their patients, and we are intersted in what is going on in their lives.

When I sit down with a patient, I say, "what has been going on in your life, since I last saw you? Catch me up."

A divorce is very important, because it tells me how much stress the patient is experiencing, and that can impact their health. I ask about marital status, children, education, smoking, drinking, drugs, sexual orientation,
    family health history, medications, allergies, every body system, past medical history, and current symptoms.

Maybe you have been seeing the wrong doctor / dentist.

• Vivian Kaufman
    16 years ago

That kind of information is VERY important to every doctor that I know. So much of the body's physical health depends upon the patient's emotional well-being.

• webegardnr
    16 years ago

TOS said "I think there is more here than meets the eye. I think not fighting his exW when she wanted to move may have just been the easy road. I would question the depth of his love for his daughter if he is ok with her not visiting."

That's BS - He's putting his child's mental health before his own feelings and needs.
    Does he have any contact with her? e-mail/mail/phone?

• theotherside
    16 years ago

I have never had a dentist or even a doctor ask that kind of information, for myself or my kids. They might ask my kids questions like how's school going, and do you wear a helmet when you bicycle, but that's about it.

I once had a hygienist have the nerve to ask me whether all my kids were by the same man because she couldn't believe I had that many. My dentist's job in particular is to clean/check my teeth, and to convince me to get an unnecessary wisdom tooth extraction and only tell me afterwards that it would take a year to heal.

• southernsummer
    16 years ago

Ok.

I hear criticism all the time that health care providers don't spend enough time with patients and don't listen.

I'm glad to hear that you are happy.

• webegardnr
    16 years ago

Once again, TOS wants to control the flow of were the thread will go. This didn't start out to be a thread on what your health care provider should talk to you about.

• kkny
    16 years ago

I tend to agree with TOS, that possibly this man had less of a connection with his DD than most moms. I know my X is happy just to have DD for pr or photo ops (birthday at his club, holiday meals with his parents, his employer outings) -- ie anywhere he wants to show, my DD loves me, I am great. Other than that he is at best ambivalent.

And I have a great relationship with my dentist, we talk (his wife is his office manager) about kids, etc. I can not imagine anyone talking to dentist about spouse leaving him. Wierd.

• laurels4u
    16 years ago

My DH NEVER tells me when something is bothering him, especially when it deals with his son or the EW. I can always tell by the way he's acting that something is going on with them by the way he retreats into himself. On the other hand, he's very verbal about my DD's father. Example, if ex is late picking her up, DH always says he's going out to tell him off or if DD calls and says she's bored while visiting, DH gets huffy and tells me he's going to take care of him when she's dropped off. DH doesn't tell off his EW or set his SS straight but yet feels the need to flex his muscles with my ex and DD. In our case, I think my DH chooses to ignore what is uncomfortable for him (SS & EW) and redirects his anger at them towards my ex.

Regarding effective doctors/dentists like Dana & southern:
    After my DH had been kicked out by EW, she had him arrested for trespassing in *his* house while he was gathering *his* belongings (case was dismissed once the judge saw the deed to the house and EW was severely reprimanded as was the arresting officer). After it happened, he had a stress related stroke. His MD knew exactly what caused it as soon as he found out what was going on his life.

• cawfecup
    16 years ago

OT.. but ... if they grind their teeth I am sure the dentist would inquire if they are stressed and try to find out why they are grinding etc.

Many many reasons why drs inquire about personal stuff ... not a dentist but I know dental health effects the rest of your body. Bad teeth = bad digestion etc.

I know a couple, whose decree said mother couldn't move out of state with the children... mom wanted to buy a house in another state ... 10 minute walking distance from dad's house ... he prostested. Mom then moved with in the same state ... only this time it was a 2 hour ride there and he was responsible for all transportation. Told him you should have just let her move 10 minutes away. After 3 years of driving 4 hours back and forth she wanted to move again to the next state again 10 minutes away he finally agreed ... now the kids are so close they can visit mom and dad every day they are within walking distance of each house. Only 10 minutes away but live in two different states.

• vistajpdf
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL about where this thread has gone!

TOS, many of my patients know a lot about my life - my operatories are filled w/ photos of all nine kids in my mix (3DSs,3DNs,#skids) and questions about the kids aren't at all uncommon. In return, while they are getting numb, ie, I ask them how life has been treating him. They all know about our fire (obvious from the office's appearance), our contracting woes ("Please tell us you're in your house by now!" is a common phrase for any seasonal patients who left before we moved...) When my g-father passed away, I received so many cards/flowers at the office - they all knew my g-father, that he was to have a room in our house, and I often talked about all of his crazy antics. Nearly every card said that they can imagine how tough this was for me as I always spoke of that man w/ such fondness and often humor - he brought a smile to my face whether he wanted to or not!

Some people may be uncomfortable w/ this level of personal matters being shared, but I've never had any complaints. Maybe a few have quietly left the office if they didn't care for me - but you can't please all the people all the time.

Ironically, this patient was having a lot of TMJ symptoms when the DD first moved. The first two questions deal w/ any trauma (car accident) and stress (more than normal.) What I never realized until yesterday was that his wife left for the OM. I was going to fix him up w/ a friend of mine way back when as I think that much of him, but she is not interested in any stepparenting journey, so I dropped it.

I knew the DD fairly well - she'd be w/ him all the time. I don't believe he took the easy road out. Had I been hearing this story from a third party about their friend/patient, I know, to myself, I'd think, "Yeah, he remarried and is fine w/ not having visitation, just enjoying his honeymoon phase and not having a kid around..." but that's really not the case here. I also treat this patient's father who has reiterated how tough this move has been on him.

I think Lily's right about the reasons women vs. men cheat. I have joked that in retrospect, I can understand to some degree why my DH's ex did just that - DH can be emotionally unavailable, though he's much improved since our couseling began. And, if he never really loved her as he loves me, I'm sure he was MORE unavailable. I don't think there's ever an excuse to step out on your vows, but I'm not as condemning of his ex like I once was. No, I'm not thinking about cheating - we're on a major upswing!

This patient I was discussing and I got to talking because of the babysitting issue I had Sunday when I went to golf. It's the second time in the past 3 years I've been on the course and he asked why - that's when I told him about never having a sitter, etc. and he said that he understood that all too well - finally asked if I recalled why he and the ex divorced, then elaborated. It hit me like a bolt of lightening to hear it summed up like that! I'd give anything for a great sitter besides my parents so DH and I could reconnect a bit.

Anyway, I do think that his revealing of his ex's affair was done so tactfully and not shared til now - I've been treating him over 10 years. On the other hand, we have a classmate in my oldest's class who, despite not knowing you at all, will say, "My DD's father left me when he got his secretary pregnant." Men aren't usually that, well, blunt? BTW, I just asked DH how much his patients know about his personal life and he said, "They know you're my wife and that I have a lot of kids - but I'm sure they don't know the details of our life that your patients do! And they don't tell me the details of their lives that your patients do!" LOL - it's the same w/ the staff - I'll know all the dirt in their home lives immediately while DH is completely in the dark. Maybe people open up more to me as a woman and as a younger practitioner (who's aging fast!)

Dana

• finedreams
    16 years ago

I took my daughter away from her father to a different country, very far away. It was tough for him to give a permission for us to leave, but he did. Since then she has been spending at least 3 months total of the year with her dad. Her living there 2,5 months in a summer and 2 weeks in Christmas break and him flying here some othewr time during the year. And of course emails and phone calls. In fact she is with him now before college starts. Somehow they remained close to each other despite the distance and it was always great time for them to be together when they could. And he was always involved as much as he could in her life. Now when he has another child it is additional source of happiness for her to be with her dad, she loves her little brother. It is not the best arrangement to raise a child, but I would not want anyone to judge me or my ex for doing it. Things sometimes turn this way.

• vistajpdf
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I admire the way you've handled your relationships. I think it is VERY hard to split up and have to allow your child to move far away. I suppose in some cases, it's tough to keep that closeness you feel together once separated by distance, but I commend your DD and your ex for making it work.

Does she get 'bored' when she visits her father? Has she ever taken a friend or something there to help her while he's at work? I was just interested as I was thinking of suggesting this to my patient as he is troubled by it all. I thought someone here lived in RI and was allowing the DD to bring a friend - brought the bf last year?

How beautiful that your DD loves her little brother. I think her attitude speaks volumes about the lady raising her!

D

• finedreams
    16 years ago

Thanks for the nice words!

She used to get bored when she was younger, but she also has grandparents (my ex parents in laws) who she spends time with as well. And my ex runs his own business so when my DD was younger she would go to his work place with him. He travels for work, so she would go with him, plus he would take vacations more when she was there. Running his own business allowed him more flexibility. Plus some of my ex's friends have children too, so she would spend time with those kids. When she got older she made her own friends there to hang out with. Plus living in the city makes it easier. You can just go places yourself during the day, not when you are a little kid of course, but being a teenager.