SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrroarke

Garbage Disposal wiring help

mrroarke
10 years ago

Im trying to wire up my garbage disposal up and just wanted to ensure it is done correctly. The disposal is currently setup to be on its own 15 amp circuit. The plan was to have a counter mounted switch to turn the disposal on or off as needed.

Currently a 14/2 wire is run from the panel to a metal counter height junction box. There is another 14/2 wire run from the same metal junction box to inside the sink cabinet. The wire is just hanging. No box has has been installed for the 14/2 wire to be placed in yet.

I will most likely try to install a junction box and run a "whip" from the box to the disposal. An additional question arises if there is a difference in wiring using a whip versus hardwiring the disposal. At this time i dont have a need for an outlet under the sink so i was just going to use the "whip".

Any help would be appreciated. I am mainly confused about the white wire but would like to know how to wire the entire setup. If you know please include any grounding insights as well. Thanks.

Comments (6)