SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deedles_gw

Issues with Kolbe and Kolbe windows-FYI

deedles
10 years ago

Hello,

Usually post on kitchens but thought I'd hop over here to share the issues we've had with our Kolbe windows.

First, we ordered a triple bank, double bank and one single: all double hung. We've gone with their higher end 'Sterling' line and the 10 year warranty K-Kron finish for the outside wood trim. Beautiful windows however, in that first set of windows, which were ordered at two different times about a month apart, 3 of the 6 sash 'stuck' together and when we opened them, a piece of wood ripped out of the top rail of the bottom sash on each of the 3.

Now in our second order of windows, 4 big single double hung, one of the frames is 3/16" smaller at the top than the bottom. Not noticeable until we tried to put the screen in and it wouldn't go. Our installer measured and found the discrepency and also noted that because the wood was cut wrong (how does this happen in the world of CAD and computers and etc, ) they forced it together and there was a sizable crack/gap at the corner of the window. Pretty much would be the end of the 10 year warranty paint finish once water got in there.

To be fair, Kolbe and our local supplier have made no bones about replacing all the sash and now also the frame for this window but hello... quality control? We'll now wait another month or more for the frame so we can re-install it. PIA.

We asked our installer friend which window he though was the best and he said 'none of them, I don't think they are any good windows anymore'. He's seen a lot over the years and says the quality overall is downward trending in his opinion.

Anyway, thought I'd share our experience and maybe it'll be a head up to someone down the road.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County