SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurilye_gw

Grandparenting a step child, is it really this hard?

laurilye
16 years ago

I am going to try to be brief. My son is living here with his girlfriend and her 10 yr old daughter, and that is all well and good. They have been here 6 weeks, and so far this child has stolen, snooped through every knock and cranny of husbands and My bedroom, taken many silly things over and over again, like chocolate meant for cookies or baking when I told here those were things I needed for cooking, not candy, gone on my computer when she has been told she has to have permission as her mother wants supervision over it. and this she did 5 days in a row, after being told nicely that was not allowed and why; each and every time. And each time, she sweetly told me she understood. And I swear to god, l5 minutes later she would do it again.

She didn't imagine I was computer savvy so she was pretty upset when I told her I knew she had been going on the computer everytime I ran to the store or took a bath. She denied it, but I told her that there was a record stating times,and sites, and being honest was her only option. She refused to speak. She lied to son and mother, claiming she forgot, which they knew was not true. And that is not such a biggy, kids deny stuff, they just do, but at some point don't we have to make them own up to things, not just for the sake of honesty, but so they can see it's actually more comfortable and less trouble to tell the truth. All I wanted her to do was to try to help me understand why she did this, when I have made it clear that I will let her use it, and have never told her no yet, just that she needed permission. I felt it would be good for both of us, maybe she had a reason, that would have made me understand and not feel so disrespected and irrelevant. Or maybe she would learn something from her explanation that would make her see how wrong it is to be so sneaky and dishonest.

Well, she refused to discuss it, instead she did the dishes and kissed my behind for a half a day, and in her mind now I am supposed to be over it.

Quite some time before this,I loaned her my husbands favorite straw hat for school, I told her if she really needed to use it she had to be extra careful with it because hubby loved that damn hat. Well, It took me a week and a half to get the hat out of her, she claimed to have forgotten it and various other excuses. Finally I simply told her she needed to produce the hat now.

She said she would put it in my closet. I told her no, bring it to me. 10 minutes pass, I called her out of her room, saying "The hat, please!! She very nonchalantly told me she put it in the closet so I wouldnt have to stop what I was doing. I told her she knew she is not to be in our room . I went to the closet, and; no surprise; she knew exactly where it goes in there, when I pulled it down it had a huge hole in it. I swear to you it's not the hat that is important to me here, it's her way of handling it. I showed it to her and she said the hole was not there when she put it in the closet(10 minutes before)

Well, I had had enough, she had to pull 5 buckets of weeds for the computer, and again, I told her she has to tell me the story of what happened to the hat, and why she couldnt resist sneaking onto the computer.. that we all needed to trust her, and that I was sure we all would, but under the circumstances she would have to earn that trust back. She didn't bother, instead she vacuumed her room for the one and only time in 2 months.

I wondered if perhaps I am asking something a 10 year old cannot do, so the next morning I told her vacuuming her room was a wonderful thing, that ordinarily I would go ga ga over, but that it was not going to replace what I needed, and that because I was afraid she thought it would, I was giving her one more day to come clean with how the hole got in the hat, etc. I told her I was not going to ask again, and if she failed to do so, trusting her again would be a much harder thing to do.

Nothing. A little brown nosing, and pretending to be delighted to see me everytime she enters the room, but it is just manipulation.

My question is this, am I asking her to do something that is degrading or unfair, and is my feeling that her refusal is disrespectful just me being a tyrant. I have never raised a daughter, and as her parents say, she is a very difficult and controling child, but still, maybe I'm just doing it all wrong.

I just want to stand my ground if I am on the right track or give it up and move on if I am not.

Any words of wisdom will be much appreciated

thank you

Laurily

Comments (14)