SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kdillon2504

Can't love SS7

kdillon2504
12 years ago

this forum has been an absolute god-send for me. I always thought I was the only one who struggles to love (even like) my SS7. He's mostly an ok kid, not defiant or hostile ever. However, I still don't like him. He gets on my nerves for every little thing. My DH and I have been living together for a year and dating for much longer. What's been bothering me most lately is that SS has been displaying inappropriate physical affection for his father, starting with putting his body between me and DH all the time. Even in the grocery store, etc. If DH is talking to me, SS interrupts either with a new topic or misbehavior that derails our adult conversation. SS holds DH's hand whenever we're out in public. He's even gone so far as to knock my hand out of DH's to hold it. A SEVEN-YEAR-OLD BOY holding his daddy's hand in public???? In the evenings, I cannot share a couch with DH because SS will slither between us. So I sit elsewhere, and SS is free to full-body rub up against his father, front to front, nuzzling his face into daddy's chest and lap, constantly squirming and rubbing his body all over daddy. Just short of actually humping his father. GROSS. It's like when SS is around, DH is daddy, and I'm supposed to bow at the shrine of SS too, and when SS isn't around, DH is back to DH.

In all other ways SS behaves like daddy's little princess, needing help with things he can totally do (emptying bathroom trash that he's done a thousand times? please), and staring at me with a look like I'm not speaking English. Wide eyed and confused. DH says all this weirdly inappropriate affection is because SS is jealous of the affection DH gives me. But We've lived together a YEAR and he's only become this way the last couple of months. DH says it's because SS is realizing I'm permanent. This sounds like bs to me.

He will occasionally throw an actual tantrum, like on Father's Day, he literally screamed, thrashed, yelled, cried, begged for his mommy, flung himself on the ground, ALL DAY. For TEN HOURS. No kidding. I was baffled he had that kind of stamina. DH thinks this behavior is HILARIOUS.

Worst of all, he has a HORRIFIC speech impediment (his therapist says he's finally reached the level of a 3 year old!)He can barely do L, can't do R, CH, SH, TH. He's nearly intelligible, and neither DH nor BM think there's any problem. DH says, he'll grow out of it. SS has NO interest in improving. He says he "wikes vuh way he tawks".

BM is overly permissive and indulgent, so SS thinks the world was created to serve him, and that him and his thoughts are more important than anyone else's, and what he wants is what should be. He can't fathom it any other way.

I can't stand to be around this kid and try to make myself scarce when he's around. This infuriates DH, who feels I should be doting on daddy's princess just like his mother does. DH insists I show SS all the affection and approval of a mother, without any of that pesky discipline or correction. Let me be clear, I'm not mean to this kid, he gets all the benefits my kids get, they get a popsicle, he does too, etc. I take good care of him and am pleasant with him, but it's not enough for DH. This is a real problem for him, even though he doesn't feel the need to love my girls the way expects me to love his son. There's always a "legitimate" reason: they're older, they're girls, they don't have the BM SS does.

I have a new job, and coincidentally, DH's working hours have changed, so we are going to have a problem picking SS up from his school. DH says he can't leave work early, so I'll have to. I said I won't jeopardize my job for that, and DH flew off the handle about how he's SORRY if his SON is such a BURDEN for me. Then went on to tell me how both of our jobs are important.... respectively. MY job is important to ME, but his job pays his bills, so...you read between the lines. I won't lose my job for this kid; I've already lost my sense of my place in life.

I fear that this issue is going to tear the "family" apart. Double standards for our kids is the worst. I think that plays as much of a problem in my loving SS as anything else.

Things are going south and I'm not sure I even care anymore.

Comments (57)

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

hating one's name is ridiculous, I think naming is subjective. it is awful for you yet it is nice for someone else. my brother has a colleague who told him that if he had a classmate with my nephew's name he would beat him up because the name is so pretentious. Can you believe the guy actually said that??? My nephew's name is very nice, I love it. nothing pretentious about it. and my mother's acquittance asked about my SO's name "what kind of name is that, can't even pronounce it". this is ridiculous!!!! what's awful for you, is great for others. i had people commenting on my mother's name, on my DD's brother's name, on my DD's name etc etc I guess if one is not Mary or John, it must be an awful name. how stupid!

and disliking a child because he has mental/physical/emotional disabilities or difficulties is bizarre.

now in regards of you taking time off work to pick up SS, it is unnecessary. Mom and dad should be doing it. not your job.

i have the same question, how long have you been married?

• justmetoo
    12 years ago

--"It's even a relatively common name"--

...or so we're told, so at least the little guy does not have to feel many others besides his SM has too many issues with it. A relatively common name can't be all that bad that crowds would point and laugh thinking OP named this child. Odds are child won't be the only Little _______ on any rollcall list. It would appear OP just dislikes the name...lucky for children that relatively many other parents find nothing horrible or funny about it.

As before said, no names, but it's be interesting to see what all here think of the 'special' names you did deem appropriate to name your own girls. I'm sorry, but cringing at a 'relatively common' name is just as PO1 said, ridiculous and petty.

• Related Discussions

loves strawberries, can't have the seeds...

Q

Comments (21)
    I am close to someone with diverticulosis. He’s gone to the ER more than once. I also have some diverticula that sometimes acts up. Our gastroenterologist does not warn against eating things like seeds and roughage. Of course, no one would want to do this during a flare up. I have also read that newer thinking on this condition does not tend to agree with having patients avoid thinds like seeds. The man who I mentioned above, eats everything he cares to, AND regularly consumes a lot of roughage in the form of whole grains, rolled oats, frozen peas and carrots, lima beans, green beans, strawberries, raisins, blueberries, seeds like poppy, chia, fennel, and so on. He does not eat a lot of meat or white bread or pastries made with white flour. He can even enjoy popcorn (has those sharp husks). I suspect that he rarely has a flareup because he regularly consumes a LOT of roughage and fiber (soluble and insoluble, such as legumes and oats). I eat fiber, anytrhing I want, but less fiber than he. If I were to eat a lot of blueberries every day, after about day 4 or 5, my patches of diverticula would begin to get cranky, giving me pain. Then I just back off the blueberries. I have an aquaintance who won’t eat certain food because of the seeds or small husks, but then has no trouble eating other foods that seem like they ought to be equally problematic. She has several other cooexisting gut issues. Who knows.
    ...See More

can't finish because I can't get started. circle game?

Q

Comments (16)
    Thank you -- I guess I am kind of rambling here and not getting to the point. Pal I do love the idea of wood verticals, but they are just too pricey . If i was planning to be here another 20 years I would consider but I think we will be moving within the next 5 years. With that, I want to update with resale in mind (and not spend too much $$(. I have 2 points; the first starts with the sliding patio door window treatment. While we rarely do close the blinds, (more for sun than for privacy)I still need that option. I could probably just get new slats to put in the track for the vertical (cause a few have sort of split and fallen off..)but I keep thinking that they just look so less than good in general. That started me thinking that I should consider perhaps some panels on a rod? Then I wonder because the blinds are 80 or 81 inches long (that little recess of course is not at 84"). Then I wonder if I should add same similar panels to the family room. Secondly- I think about how the couches are 10 years old or older, and are uncomfortable to sit on need replacing....I have looked somewhat but there are so few furniture stores any more and I barely see any blue shown though I love the blue...... . I do love the way the blue plays off all the beige(walls, carpet, cabinets etc). all I see when I look is beige/brown (which might work?) or reds and greesn which I dont think I want. Well I think you maybe helped me out here.I am thinking maybe I should just replace the slats in the vertical blinds... and then ask for help on my wall arrangements? But just to show how my brain works, after I semi came to the realization that I might just replace the verticals (because they ARE functional and they do work- I just have never loved them)... do you think a beige/tan couch could work well in here? and or do you think these would work if I kept the blue? (LINDEN PAISLEY in lake mist?) or if I did add panels would you go with a white like the blinds? Or just leave it alone and just replace /renew the vertical blinds? Here is a link that might be useful: lake mist linden?
    ...See More

DHs - You can't live with them and you can't kill them!!!

Q

Comments (28)
    He mistook crocus bulbs for potatoes, Jannie? OMG, that's a riot! And the best part is catching him in the act! lolol Mine doesn't throw my stuff away but he puts it away WHILE I'm using it or before I'm done with it. It's not like I leave stuff lying around. For example, the other night I was making a pasta dish. I put the colander in the sink so I could drain the angel hair. Went to get the pot about 2 minutes later and the colander was gone! Gone! Where's the colander? Oh, he says- I thought you were done with it so I washed it and put it away. (Oh, I know what you're thinking, "Isn't he helpful! And look, he washes dishes!) Yeah, yeah..... it's not helpful to wash a perfectly clean item and move it as I'm preparing to dump boiling hot water in it! I asked him if he noticed the pasta boiling on the stove and he said he didn't, but he can spot a standing colander from 50 paces! He puts away salad fixings, too, before I've made the salad. It's ridiculous, I pull them out, he puts them away. I ask where's my lettuce and he says "I thought you were done with it." Um, see any bowls of lettuce anywhere, Einstein? lol Men. Grrrrr. Don't EVER let him retire, Clare! Find him a job. Give him a honey-do list that won't quit. Anything, but keep him busy outside! Oh, and how come Mr. "Place For Everything and Everything In Its Place" can't close the closet door in the LR? I close that bi-fold door about 20 times a day but if I say anything, I'm a nag.
    ...See More

I can't do it. I just can't do it.

Q

Comments (34)
    I have never had a subscription to a cooking magazine - the only subscription I did have was to Illuminatrice, an Italian lighting magazine, and that was at work. The only magazines that I buy at the newsstand are Italian design magazines, some of which are quite expensive (I used to buy men's Italian fashion magazines, when I was more fashionable), and I have saved every one of them. I also buy Architectural Digest, Interiors, Veranda, etc. when they publish photos of my furniture designs, and I keep these also. My old magazine collection takes up one shelf in my garage, and I do refer to the Italian magazines from time to time for inspiration. I do collect clutter, but books and magazines are not part of that. I have one shelf of cookbooks in the hall next to the kitchen. I once bought a magazine on Feng Shui, but I decided that the magazine was clutter and got rid of it. I spent last week-end trying to declutter my bedroom because I also bought a new mattress that will be delivered tomorrow, and I want my room to look nice. Yesterday I made a runner with the fabric left over from making new drapes for my bedroom (to be able to block out light) and put it on the wide dresser beside my bed. The dresser on the other side of my bed has a runner I made from fabric left over from when I made my bedspread. I find that decorating or trying to coordinate rooms helps me get rid of clutter. However, I did put a bunch of books on the wide dresser using bookends. I don't have room for another bookcase. If I need to get more books, I will get rid of old ones that I have. Lately I have been buying and reading books on Anthropology and early human evolution. I read them at night to help me get to sleep, and so it takes a while to get through them. I cannot stand to watch Hoarders, but I will watch Clean House if I need inspiration to declutter. Making my house and yards look as beautiful as possible is one of my top priorities, and this helps me let go of clutter. I haven't gotten rid of it altogether, however, and so I think it is an on-going process. I have a hard time getting rid of old clothes that no longer fit, and I am convinced that sometime in the near future, they will fit again. Anyway, that is my goal. They may be terribly out of style or inappropriate by that time, however. Getting rid of old clothes is my biggest problem. One of the things I came across yesterday while decluttering was a printout from a Cooking Forum thread from 2005 that I started asking what was in everyone's freezer. It included a post by Ann_T on pitahaya (I happened to have some in my freezer at the time) that she had copied and pasted, bad Google translation and all. The translation was hysterically funny. Lars
    ...See More
  • justmetoo
    12 years ago

I went off to get a coffee and hit submit before intending LOL.

Who was picking child up Monday and Tuesday pre now? If jobs/hours have changed so must whatever current agreement be mutually discussed between parents. Things change, new agreements must be made. Does not matter that DH thinks his paycheck is more important than yours...he has an agreement with BM and it is he who has had his own work schedule changed. Perhaps he can look into afterschool daycare or if BM does not already have something on her agenda he could pick child up later from her home.

How much older are your girls and how do they get home after school on the days DH/you are working? Has job changes/schedules affected the girls getting home? I would think unless these girls are much older than SS that you'd be having the same problem transporting them as the SS...grade school, Jr High and High schools pretty much get out within short time spans of each other in communities.

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

Unless someone's name mean something completely weird like boy names "A$$" or "Butt-cheak", I don't think names should bother anyone. Actually even if names mean something ridiculous in one language, it could be very innocent in other cultures. I had comments that my mother's name sounds like a parasite or a disease (even though it is not uncommon name), and my DD's brother's name means a poison (it means nothing like that in language it is named), my nephew's name is from a cartoon character (not in the culture where the name comes from). Most of my SO's family have names that I could neither pronounce nor memorize. After 5 years with SO I still do not say his name right (lack of particular sound), and my family often misspells it on invitations.

But it is OUR problem not name holders. So it is OP's problem she dislikes the name, not this boy's.

In fact as justmetoo I would like to know names of OP's girls so I can make fun of the names. LOL JK

• lady_q
    12 years ago

I understand the OP's frustrations, and have dealt with very similar issues over the last 9 years. When I met DH, SS was 7 years old. He was a very clingy, needy child who demanded constant attention and usually got it from his father. Like the OP's SS, he behaved as if he was the centre of the universe (and was treated as if he was!) and, in fact, still believes that today. He also displayed very inappropriate physical affection with his father, especially when I was around.

SS had learned this behavior from his mother who would be on him like flies on S#!T whenever she came to pick him up for visitation....no exaggeration, it would be full body contact -- legs and arms wrapped around while covering his face and neck with kisses. I can't tell you how disturbed I was by this, but DH had no idea it was inappropriate. Anyway, after a lot of discussion with DH, he realized that it was in SS's best interest socially to be less physically affectionate and gently over a few months conveyed that message to SS, although SS still behaved inappropriately with BM, who encouraged it, especially in public.

One thing that really disturbs me about this post is the mocking tone of the OP's discription of this child's speech impediment. It seems very immature to me that you would actually focus in on that and the fact that you hate his name. You seem to be judging him in a very negative way, and basing his "value" on his disability, as well as his parents' "unfortunate?" choice of name.

Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not judging you. There are many days when I can't stand the sight of SS16 especially since he's become a teenage know-it-all who thinks he has the answers to all the mysteries of the universe. BUT, we all live together is this house. DH loves his son very much, and I love my DH. Therefore, I accept some things about SS that I know I would not have accepted from my own son (32). And the sooner I realized this fact, the happier I became.

Your SS is 7, clearly not old enough to make cognitive decisions to alienate you. His behavior now is based on his upbringing before you were in the picture. It's not his fault. He has no control over his name -- he's stuck with it, and if you will have to accept it. Based on my own experience, those negative, judgmental feelings you have toward this child now, will only become stronger as the child grows older. Be honest with yourself and determine whether you will ever even like this child sometime down the line...if you can't imagine it, then get out now.

• mattie_gt
    12 years ago

My SS is nine and still prefers to sit between DH and I when we're watching a movie.

I understand what you mean, kdillon, I was a bit taken aback in the beginning when SS would plop down right in between us. But we quickly realized that, at least in our case, SS wasn't so much trying to displace me as making sure that he got his fair share of snuggles and attention - and SS prefers a lot of snuggles. Now, years later, SS is just as likely to snuggle up with me as with DH - but he's almost certainly going to be in there somewhere. That's fine, the poor kid has already had more to deal with than a child should, and it seems to make him feel happy and secure. DH and I will have the rest of our lives to sit with just the two of us, but SS will only be a kid for a couple of years (soon enough he'll be a teenager, and I am sure I will long for the days when he'd curl up with me.)

Do you think that any of your disdain for SS is actually misplaced anger towards DH and/or BM? Thinking an hours-long temper tantrum is funny? Ignoring a speech problem? What are they thinking?! This child needs help! Add that to the "my job is more important than yours" attitude of your DH and I can understand why you're frustrated, angry and worried - but it's not really fair to take it out on your SS. How can he be expected to know better or behave better when his parents do not seem to be doing the best job of raising him to know better?

You all need counseling. Marital counseling, family counseling, even individual counseling would be better than nothing - something, and as soon as possible.

Assuming that you get some of the underlying issues addressed, here's what you may have to look forward to in another couple of years. Almost all of the affection and attention "problems" are things that SS did - and now, several years later, many of them are perks. Yes, SS sometimes still interrupts - both DH and myself. SS still sits between us. SS also yells "Family Hug!" if DH and I are hugging and runs to squeeze both of us. DH likes to dance with me if a good song comes on the radio - and now SS will do it. He'll "waltz" me around the living room until I'm dizzy. He'll hug me and tell me he loves me "just because".

I hope it works out for you all.

• justmetoo
    12 years ago

--"My DH and I have been living together for a year and dating for much longer.

But We've lived together a YEAR and he's only become this way the last couple of months."--

But ladyQ, the child did not come into this relationship this way (too affectionate, extreme displays) it is a recent new behavior. In your situation the behavior had been taught and long thought acceptable, that's not what OP is stating here with the 'last couple of months' behavior.

And just because it's gotta be said...there are days parents look at their own children (ones even raised in not divorced/blended families) and think 'how the heck did I get you'...while I love my children dearly there is not anything overly likeable about a know it all teenager from time to time. They can be really obnoxious...but it sounds like you have learned to handle it in a mature healthy manner even though the child is not yours. You worked as a family unit to make a home and make it doable. Something I'm not seeing coming forth in this OP's postings.

I guess what I'm saying is this little boy (except for the new displays of over affection) are nothing new. He's the same little boy he was last year, two years ago and so on. Sometimes I really think some people race into a marriage/relationship thinking they can change everything they dislike and wave some magical wand and suddenly the children they dislike will be wonderful, the exs they dislike will poof and cause no problems...just because they 'marry' they can change and fix it all soley because they married/come into each other's life. Time after time the bubble gets popped and they find themselves in situations they never should have entered. It's not realistic to think there are magic wands or that 'just because he/she is suddenly there to take control and change everything it will indeed change. There lies the difference between healhy stable relationships with a long term chance and one's that will go up in smoke.

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

My niece-9 is all over her dad any time anyone else is trying to have a simple conversation (we are not PDA type of people), she climbs on him when he is talking to his wife (intact fmaily, SIl is my niece's mother), me (and SIL commented "oh she is just jealous", WTF). I think they cultivate it in my niece by making comments it is cute. It is nto cute. She is not a neglected child, she gets a lot of attention and care.

Last weekend we had a party at our house. My brother and SO have a lot in common and they were both doing the grilling, my niece INSISTED on always going with my brother outside and hanging onto him when he tried to talk to SO. My brother cannot even step outside of her vision for a minute. She is whispering to him all the time and trying to show PDA. This is just nuts. This is annoying.

But she actually is the same way with anyone who is trying to have conversations with anyone. Last week I was at their house and I had some business with my nephew, so she climbed up on him every time i tried to say something. I love my niece, but I could see if she was not my family I would find her extremely annoying.

I think if SS truly is that needy, someone needs to do something about it. His name and disability is nothing to dislike him for, but I could see how his inappropriate neediness and jealousy and being physically all over people could be difficult to handle for strangers. He will have difficulty in social situations at school.

And 10 hours of tantrum screaming? Not funny. This child might need to be evaluated. Inappropriate display of affection and mood swings like that could indicate anything from abuse to emotional/mental disorders.

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

"But We've lived together a YEAR and he's only become this way the last couple of months"

perhaps something happened either at dad's or at mom's house or at school that triggered this behavior. Did anyone try to investigate?

• mkroopy
    12 years ago

OP - I didn't read your entire post...or many of the replies, but want to chime on on one thing you apparently are aghast at:

"A SEVEN-YEAR-OLD BOY holding his daddy's hand in public????"

WTF is wrong with that? My son is 10.5, and splits time 50/50 between me and his mom...and we have a wonderful relationship, he is my best friend, he is very smart and a great student, outgoing, active, has lots of friends, etc. And we still hold hands all the time, even in public, and have for years. I think there is nothing wrong with this, in fact I think it is WONDERFUL that both of us will put any stupid social 'stigmas' aside and show our affection for each other.

I know that with him being 10.5, I don't have much more time before he puts and end to this...so every time we do hold hands walking down the street or whatever...I soak it up because I know it won't last much longer, but I am grateful for having experienced this with him. My 13 year old daughter was (and is) very different...very reserved emotionally, she probably stopped holding my hand and her mom's hand in public when she was about 5.

OK...just wanted to chime in on that one little topic.

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

I agree, 7-year-old boys or girls hold their parents hands in public, I think it is normal. Rubbing all over sounded excessive, holding hands not.

• silversword
    12 years ago

"What's been bothering me most lately is that SS has been displaying inappropriate physical affection for his father, starting with putting his body between me and DH all the time."

This is physical affection YOU feel is inappropriate. It's just as natural and loving for a child to be next to their parent (or more) than a new lover.

"Even in the grocery store, etc. If DH is talking to me, SS interrupts either with a new topic or misbehavior that derails our adult conversation."

Sounds like you need to either include him in conversation more and/or DH needs to gently remind him not to interrupt.

"SS holds DH's hand whenever we're out in public. He's even gone so far as to knock my hand out of DH's to hold it. A SEVEN-YEAR-OLD BOY holding his daddy's hand in public????"

I STILL hold my dad's hand. In public. As for knocking your hand out, I would swoop him up if he did that and blow his belly or tickle him or make him EVEN CLOSER to the two of you. He wants love. GIVE HIM LOVE. Then gently remind him what is appropriate.

"In the evenings, I cannot share a couch with DH because SS will slither between us. So I sit elsewhere,"

Right. You've shown him that it's YOU or HIM and he's going to do what he can to make sure it's HIM. Sounds logical to me :)

".. and SS is free to full-body rub up against his father, front to front, nuzzling his face into daddy's chest and lap, constantly squirming and rubbing his body all over daddy. Just short of actually humping his father. GROSS."

I have a really hard time thinking dad and you have a similar perception of what is going on. Very few men would be ok with a child RUBBING up against them in a prone position.

It's like when SS is around, DH is daddy,

Yep. Again, this makes sense to me.

and I'm supposed to bow at the shrine of SS too, and when SS isn't around, DH is back to DH.

Y'know what? Your DH has a really important job. It's called being a dad.

I'm sorry, I know this must be frustrating to you. It appears you don't like him/he irritates you because you both see the other as a threat and competition. And you are... you compete for affection, for time, etc. You want your DH to be DH THE MAN not DH THE DAD. Understandable. But it's not going to work. And DH probably likes the attention. But that won't last either.

Seriously? You need to make friends with the kid or find a new man.

• SwishFish
    12 years ago

I feel like we can be too harsh to react quickly to people's feelings. I think what she's going through is very normal. Just because someone is a child doesn't mean they're naturally to be accepted carte blanche. If an adult acted the same as this child, it would be horrific- but because they're a child, it seems we can't react. I think your feelings are 100% normal- he's not your child, he's annoying to you, you don't want him in your face, and that is OKAY! I know that grating feeling when you're around a stepchild. It doesn't make sense. It isn't your typical reaction. It creates guilt and anger and resentment because what you're trying to do isn't natural- bond with a child that isn't yours. It's not that you're cold, judgmental, or lacking in empathy or emotion...it's simply that as women, I don't think for the most part we are meant to love other women's children and it's not a bad thing. I think it just is. I can see that dealing with a child that doesn't speak intelligibly (whether he can help it or not), one who throws fits, and behaves in a way that is frutstrating would be infuriatingly obnoxious. I'm sorry you're struggling. I see a lot of women (and live with this same challenge myself) who would be just fine in their lives if the children of other women weren't present. Perhaps it's a human flaw, but it is hard to accomplish without hitches. However, try to see the good. If you want to be with your husband/boyfriend then this boy will not go away. I mean this will all kindness, but perhaps a man with children isn't for you? It's not for most. If you're not married, take this time to consider a life change because if you commit 100% to this man, this boy will be a lifetime partner as well. Can you do that? Be patient with yourself when he bothers you. I can tell you are trying to cope and that's so hard. Realize you're normal and set your boundaries as to what caregiving you will do and stick to it. Do not let husband/boyfriend berate/guilt/cajole, etc on this level- the boy is not your child and unless it's fair with your children, it's not going to be a case of you sacrificing all the time while husb/bf does not. I wish you luck. Counselors can be good, but mostly they're expensive and hard to find good ones. Take time to develop your own joy, see the good where you can in this child, and take your time working through your emotions when you interact with him. Try to see what's really bothering you. Is it the affection itself or the interruption of your bonding with your husb/bf? Then when it's intolerable, it's okay to leave the room. The father should praise you and validate your attempting to blend this family instead of expect you to fall in line. I wish you well and be gentle with yourself and this child. You both are learning and unfortunately, he's not fully grown so he's stuck in a child's world in an adult situation. See that and give him the benefit of the doubt and put yourself in his life- what if you were that boy? Sometimes that helps. Best to you.

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

"I would swoop him up if he did that and blow his belly or tickle him or make him EVEN CLOSER to the two of you."

Although I agree with the rest of the post, this just does not sound realistic. They don't have close enough relationship and aren't in "mom/child" or even "older sister/little brother" relationship. If a man I was living for a year grabbed 7-year-old DD and started blowing in her belly I would be rather surprised. DD and her dad yes, DD and her grandpa yes, but not a man I date/cohabitate (as I think OP does). My SO gives DD a hug, but blowing in her belly or tickling...not so much LOL (of course she is a adult but still why not? LOL)

Now I think maybe you meant dad should do that, that sounds like a good decision.

• sylviatexas1
    12 years ago

"There has to be something that triggered the over affection bit to suddenly emerge."

What's the household like at his mother's home?

New boyfriend?

Children who are sexually abused *often* act like this, so much so that day care centers & schools are obligated to report it.

Please alert your husband to this;
    this poor child needs somebody to help him.

As far as getting on your nerves, please put your own feelings aside until you know the reasons behind his behavior.

I wish you all the best.

• silversword
    12 years ago

WEEELLLLL.... I dunno. All I can say is from my perspective, and we are a hands-on kind of family. If any child that I even slightly knew (let alone one who lived part time in the same house as me) were familiar with me enough to whack my hand out of someone else's hand.... then we're "close enough" for me to reach out and tickle him.

If we're sitting on the couch one-two-three-all-together and he's 7 and I've been with his dad a while... yes, I think grabbing him and giving him noogie-love is perfectly fine.

But then, that's me. I am affectionate and pull kids in rather than push them out. Not the first time I meet them, of course I wouldn't tickle or blow bellies.

"If a man I was living for a year grabbed 7-year-old DD and started blowing in her belly I would be rather surprised. "

Hmmmmm.... If I were living with a man for a year and he didn't do those sorts of things I'd be more surprised!! And the context REALLY matters. I'm saying, in the scenerio presented:

Dad, SM and Kid are walking down the street. Dad and SM are holding hands. Kid butts in, whacks SM's hand out of the way (don't see how he's physically capable of pulling this off, but whatever).

One of the adults should GRAB the kid and give him LOVE! The kind of "c'mere you little stinker/snuggle/belly blowing/tickling silly love" that an adult gives a kid who is wanting attention and asking for it inappropriately.

But again, different styles of parenting, of course.

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

The thing is that the situation is entirely different from yours. In fact SM hates the kid, so she could possibly start slowly by building trust with the child, rather than grabbing him and showing physical affection, she can barely stand him. I don't think it is a realistic suggestion. She needs to work on other things first.

"Hmmmmm.... If I were living with a man for a year and he didn't do those sorts of things I'd be more surprised!!"
    You'd be surprised he isn't blowing in DD's belly or tickles after a year? Is that a requirement for men now to blow in bellies and tickle. LOL I would not be with a man who shows no affection and no interest in DD yet alone dislikes her! But no, not blowing DD's belly or tickle her wouldn't be a deal breaker.

We are all very affectionate bunch, that's just us. SO hugs DD every time he sees her and gives a kiss, no, he is not blowing her belly and doesn't tickle her. By your logic I should be surprised he isn't doing it? LOL SO is crazy about my niece too, always does stuff for her and with her etc no, he isn't blowing her belly either. haha You can be very devoted to other people's children but don't blow their bellies LOL

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

sylvia, I agree, I asked what triggered such rapid change...no reply...

• myfampg
    12 years ago

PO1 your daughter is an adult. I doubt she would allow a belly blowing/tickle fest.

I'm happy to report my DH is a big time belly blower/tickle monster/kissie monster/toe tickling kind of guy. They only thing that annoys me about this is when DH, DD and DS attack me and I get a combination of all three at once and I have no one to protect me from their slobbery, kissing, pee my pants tickling attack!!! Lol I think if my 'step'dad were more affectionate in the way my Dh is with my Dd, I might have been raised to be affectionate. I'm not hands on, I'm very much 'this is my space, this is your space'. My Dh has changed me so much. It's one of my many faults that 'caused' my divorce with exDh. Not enough affection. My Dd was not affectionate either until my Dh and I started dating and he kind of forced himself on us lol in a good way. My son is super affectionate. Every morning lots of kisses. Every day when we pick him up, he is so excited, always a 'I love you mommy/daddy' hugs and kisses. He is affectionate with friends and family. It's wonderful. I never thought I would like this but I actually LOVE it. And I'm so glad my kids want to show me and the world how much they love us! My husband came from a very affectionate mom and dad. He was the only child so he got LOTS of love. His parents (in my opinion) are the best grandparents (even over my own parents) because they just love and love and love everyone! Lots of hugs, pats on the back. I love it (now). I used to think it was weird. When I see my husband tending to his 65 year old mother - she is not 'old'but he still 'tends' to her in an old fashioned way. I have friends who tell me it's sick and they can't imagine having a mil like that. Well it's not her! It's him. He Loves his mom!! He opens the door for her, he escorts her. Once we were At the park and I being the 'amateur' photographer of the family, was off in the background taking pics and I got a wonderful pic of hubby holding hands with his mom and his dad on the other side holding her hand and Dd was holding hubbies hand ... It was awesome. I have it framed in my bedroom. I do not think the affection a son shows for his family is weird. I think it's called love I don't think it means anyone has messed with this child. I think maybe the reason it has gotten more extreme is because he is competing with SM for dad's attention.
    My Dd went through this. She eventually gave up. She could only be told so many times by Sm and then dad started pushing her away too and she gave up. I am sure that's what you want but if you force your husband to push his only child away, he will wake up one day and blame you and you will be right back where you are except he will resent you instead.

I think love is what everyone needs more of. I think it's awful for men and women to marry other men and women that have children and then to act so selfishly. I just don't get it.

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

Myfam, we are all very affectionate and lack of love is not the issue in my family. So we do not have this issue. Both I and ex are very affectionate and that's how we raised DD. But it is not about me or you.

It is about OP's family, this child is struggling with number of issues, SM actively dislikes him, this kid recently changed in his attitude (no one cares why), dad does not care and think it is hilarious, this child is missing something from his MOM and DAD, so SM grabbing and blowing this kid's belly simply isn't going to work. Plus she cannot stand him. I wish it was that simple.

Myfam, I don't think this couple is married, they've been together for a year? I don't necessarily think that immediately mean that dad's GF should be blowing kid's belly.

I am reading how some women bring different men to their kids lives. So if after a year of dating/cohabiting grabbing, 7-year-old girl's and blowing their bellies is OK for mom's boyfriend? What if she dates someone else next year? How many men should be blowing little girl's belly? Every man that mom dates?

• justmetoo
    12 years ago

--"He's mostly an ok kid, not defiant or hostile ever."--

It bore repeating.

--"He will occasionally throw an actual tantrum, like on Father's Day, he literally screamed, thrashed, yelled, cried, begged for his mommy, flung himself on the ground, ALL DAY. For TEN HOURS. No kidding. I was baffled he had that kind of stamina. DH thinks this behavior is HILARIOUS."--

Again, what the heck happened to make a never hostile nor never defiant child suddenly come up with the fit of all fits and 'beg' for his mother ? I'll assume child had been at Dad's since Friday (based on the schedule you gave us), so what happened between Friday and waking up on Sunday morning to toss such a fit on a day meant to be for fathers and kids...yet kid wants to flee and is begging for his mother.

A kid who supposedly spends all his time squeezing between you and DH, holding hands blah blah, suddenly wakes up and screams for mom? Now can we hear what all transpired that weekend that ended up in such a display of tantrum? There is usually two versions and sides to stories such as this. And I'm not going to 'buy' if it went down as told by OP that Dad thought his son's behavior which never ever occurs defiant/hostile (per OP's own first statements) thought this display and sudden change was hilarious.

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

Yeap, same questions here. OP does not come back to answer, isn't it somewhat typical....Crazier is the story less likely OP to come back and clarify.

This kid made a completely turn around few months ago( So May? June?) becoming extremely needy (why few months ago? So May? June? what changed?) and at the same time throwing horrendous tantrums (at the same time? so June?), also being uncooperative at school (and when did that start, same time or earlier?). I also wonder what does his mother say about all this? Is this how he behaves at home, or only with dad?

Is BM married or have a BF? If yes does SS exhibits same type of behavior around them? There is a lot going on that we do not know and is clearly more complicated than just kid wants affection from his dad(that would be normal, yet what is described is not a normal progression of things).

I wish OP comes back and clarifies to us what is happening.

• dotz_gw
    12 years ago

She hasnt come back???? Wheres the surprise??? She was called petty, ridiculous,she never said she hated the kid, just his name... Child abuse brought into the picture....I hate my SS name too (and I like him)Geez, girl gets crucified....My DS had a speech impediment, people pointed this out to me, and I denied it like "are you crazy"...I heard an audio tape years later, it was SO obvious...The parents LOVE the kid, he has no flaws, it irks Dillion, she s taken notice...As the parent, I didnt want to hear this either, MAYBE Dillion wants to help the kid...Swishfish has the right idea, maybe a little compassion for what Dillion is obviously stuggling with????

• justmetoo
    12 years ago

Well, dotz, perhaps if I had read compassion for the child, I might feel a bit more for the OP.

After initial exchange between OP and myself OP came back with "I appreciate real honesty about what I'm doing wrong and genuinely wish to improve myself and my attitude. "reality checks" are welcome. Thanks, n keep em coming."

I believe she received honest thoughts and possibilities based on what has been stated by OP.

I was not 'seeing' compassion for a child. What I was reading was contradictions between one statement and another. What I was also reading and my take on what I read was OP was more about 'me me me' than finding any compassion for a child.

It was not only disliking a name, no, it was the just knowing the whole world is thinking 'OMG that terrible woman actually named HER kid that?' ...guess there, for me at least, so hung the impression that OP also is perhaps more concerned that the whole world is also thinking 'OMG that lady over there produced THAT kid with the HORRIBLE speech impediament'.

Perhaps it was the lack of wanting to know 'why' a well behaved non-hostile, non-defiant child suddenly rapidly changes behavior, instead focusing on 'poor me, me, me I suddenly find myself losing my DH everytime THAT KID is here, it is all about him him him'.

There is no hope for this family until or unless they all , as Mattie suggested, get " counseling. Marital counseling, family counseling, even individual counseling would be better than nothing - something, and as soon as possible".

There needs to be an understanding of the whys and wheres each member of this household is coming from. There is nothing on this forum any one of us can say that will make everything all better. We can't write anything that will change the child's name, fix his speech, make him stop demanding Dad's attention nor know why the behavior so suddenly and quickly developed. We can't write anything that will get inside Dad's head and explain why he feels OP's employment should be dismissed and non-important to her blah blah blah.

There appears to be no useful communication in this household, just accusations and total lack of concern or awareness of how the other members of the home think and feel, no boundaries, no empathy. A whole lot of built up resentment, anger and perhaps issues that are bigger than what this family can cope with on it's own.

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

dotz, nobody called her ridiculous or petty, certain things that are taking place in that household are ridiculous, not her as a person.

I did feel compassion for her that she was told to leave her job early to pick up SS from school and I advised her not to, it is not her job. I even acknowledged that I understand it could be annoying for strangers when a child has to smooch all over their parent 24/7.

I have hard time feeling compassion for people who find 10-hour tantrums hilarious (and we yet to find out what are the tantrums about), who are disgusted by sudden expressions of excessive physical tough yet do not make an effort to find out the reasons, are mocking child's speech impairment and find it cute or funny yet are not making an effort to do much about it. It is not possible for us to help the kid though, we aren't there. And SM cannot do much about it either, they have to do something about it together. They don't. All we can do is keep asking questions and offering suggestions.

Being annoyed by the kid or disliking him and hating his name is not a crime. But the kid is struggling, I feel compassion for the kid. SM might leave, but kid will stay and continue struggling.

• mattie_gt
    12 years ago

Dotz, I agree with you 100%. OP acknowledges that SS "gets on her nerves for every little thing", that he's "mostly an OK kid", and "I realize that there is little materially "wrong" with this little boy, yet he grates on my nerves horribly." I read the original post as that of a very frustrated woman who knows that something is seriously wrong - be it with her attitude, SS's behavior, DH and/or BM's parental attitudes, or some combination thereof - but who doesn't know what, where or how to even begin to start trying to "fix" it.

In response OP got some responses basically telling her what a horrible person she is for not liking her SS! If I wrote in and say that I didn't like my MIL; that she was mostly OK but for some reason I just couldn't stand her, although I was polite, courteous and respectful to her - would I get people telling me how awful of a person I was because of the way that I felt?

I'm not going to assume at this point that OP is all about "me, me, me". I think OP was frustrated and dashed off a quick post. After all, there's no reason whatsoever that OP had to have included the part about SS is an OK kid but irritates her - she could have either said that he is a horrible demon-spawn from hell or that he is great and she loves him to death if all she wanted was responses to issues with SS's behavior.

We've got a BM who is all "me, me, me" - and I can tell you that she would never, absolutely not a snowball's chance in, well, the weather today, would BM ever say that she is irritated with SS or some part of his behavior but that she realizes it's an overreaction or that it might, in any small way, have anything to do with her. If OP were that seriously narcissistic, she would, in her mind, know without any questions or doubts that her distaste of SS was his fault, or DH's fault, or BM's fault - but she would not have even considered the possibility that it might have anything to do with her.

• silversword
    12 years ago

I stand by what I said. I didn't say she was petty or ridiculous and actually offered ideas for making him more tolerable. Sometimes you have to "fake it till you make it" and I think this is one of those times.

It's perfectly normal not to like a kid or an adult. But we learn as adults that we can't always show our feelings and we have to get along with people we don't prefer. This is one of those times. She can either buck up and be the parent, or she can find a lover who can be DH all the time rather than DAD/DH.

Vent away... I hate my SD's behavior sometimes too. And her name is kind of annoying for a couple of reasons. She whines, she throws mini-tantrums, she thinks her mom walks on water, she is spoiled, she thinks she's going to be a movie star, she's kind of shallow. And she's a kid. And I made a commitment to be a solid adult in her life.

And the more I know her, the more we establish a basis for communication and the more I like her. It can take time. I prefer to dive in and be loving right away. It takes the edge off and makes the kid know you're accessible.

If you're like OP and getting your panties in a wad because the kid is always coming between you...

MAKE ROOM SO HE DOESN'T HAVE TO PUSH OR GET OUT OF THE WAY!

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

I think there are more issues there..

DH (or BF?) does not show the same interest for her DDs yet demand love for SS, dad thinks tantrums are hilarious (?)and speech impairments are cute and funny, OP's job is not as important as DH's because she makes less, double standards for the kids because they are girls (?) etc

The true issue is with DH not SS, it is just easier to hate SS rather than admit that your partner sucks and relationship is not healthy and goes nowhere.

"I think that plays as much of a problem in my loving SS as anything else." Exactly, the reason for not loving SS is not SS, but treatment OP and her kids get from DH so she projects on a kid. DH is a problem,

• mattie_gt
    12 years ago

"DH (or BF?) does not show the same interest for her DDs yet demand love for SS, dad thinks tantrums are hilarious (?)and speech impairments are cute and funny, OP's job is not as important as DH's because she makes less, double standards for the kids because they are girls (?) etc

The true issue is with DH not SS, it is just easier to hate SS rather than admit that your partner sucks and relationship is not healthy and goes nowhere.

"I think that plays as much of a problem in my loving SS as anything else." Exactly, the reason for not loving SS is not SS, but treatment OP and her kids get from DH so she projects on a kid. DH is a problem"

Exactly.

I hate to agree because firstly I wasn't going to read posts, but I did, but more importantly, I fear that all this agreeing from Silversword and myself, thus resulting in h*ll freezing over, is somehow throwing off the weather patterns and causing this horrible heat wave we're having!

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

it is heat advisory here too, I welcome any signs of freezing LOL

but on a serious note I agree or disagree with different people depends on what the issue is at hand not depends on a person, I don't really care who the person is, so it is not personal. I have similar opinions more often with some people and less with others, it does not really mean anything in regards to personalities. and i am too curious not to read people's posts, hahah wouldn't work for me

• kdillon2504
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey it's me, the Original Poster,
    I'll first say I really appreciate all the feedback- even the nonsympathetic ones, really helps me view from different angles.
    Let me try to clarify a few points:
    -SS is RARELY defiant or hostile when with us, where he lives half time.
    -I've been w SO for just over two years, living together for exactly one, not married, but I called him DH for clarity. Guess it backfired lol.
    -BM is a party girl, on her third live-in SO, third house since the divorce. We live in their old marital house where SS has always lived. BM is and always has been excessively physically affectionate, at least in front of me (maybe marking her territory?) DH says she's always been one extreme or another w affection. Oedipal or dang near violent, no in between.
    -I don't hate this kid, and I'm never hostile, although I'm sure he must pick up on my preference to avoid him.
    -I'm not overly critical. The things I correct him for are the things I correct my own children for. I also ask DH for consistency fro
    one child to the next. He'll holler at my DD12 for eating in the living room and the next day give his son (my SS) food in the living room. Or he'll tell SS he can't do something, say jump on the couch, then when he does it again, no follow through on stopping him. And I'm the bad guy if I point it out. Meanwhile NO slack like that for my daughters. They get told once and if there's ever another violation, it's both boots down.
    -here's another thing that just passed: my oldest DD just turned 17 on Tuesday. He got her nothing. Nor will he get my other DD anything for her birthday on the 28th. I killed myself finding and scratching together the $80 for his son's birthday gift in April. I should mention he makes FOUR times what I do and is quite comfortable. I expressed my hurt and he thinks he's perfectly justified, since he didn't "kill her for her latest bull***".
    Reviewing what I said just now and what I said before, I guess the bulk of my resentment for this poor boy comes from his father's double standards regarding our children. SS is always placed first, SS is always excused his trespasses, SS is always handled patiently, SS's opinions and desires are placed above everyone else's, especially my two own DDs. And none of this is his fault. So not fair to this poor little guy.
    I've talked many times to DH about the discrepancies, but he always finds a way to justify them: SS is too little, or he's a boy, or his OP is an idiot, or he's only here half time... *sigh* sounds like my problem is the man and not the boy.
    :( it was easier to blame the kid, but now I have to take real stock of my relationship.
    Thanks guys, and I'd love to hear more if you've got it.

• silversword
    12 years ago

Agreed. It's not the kid, so much, as the DH not being on the same page.

As usual.

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

KDillon, so I was on to something. I had a feeling that it is him being a jerk not as much his kid. OMG I was right. I am sorry but I think he is a jerk. You are not married and have no kids together, so cut your losses and run. WTF is wrong with him? And maybe time to find out what caused their divorce? Same issues, possibly?

He gets nothing to your children and you buy gifts for his??? Not even a little something, flowers? He makes FOUR times more than you? Not even when you ask?

He lets his kid do whatever in the house yet yours is not allowed to do XYZ?

SS's interests are always put ahead of your kids? Well understandable he is young, but saying because they are girls? Sexist much?

He says be glad "didn't kill her (meaning your DD) for the latest b....?" He says that about your kid???

Gee...Of course nobody is perfect, but this is just too much. Did you notice such behavior when you dated or only recently? Also could it be that SS sees that his dad disrespects you and DDs so he takes advantage of it? What do your girls say about all this?

• kdillon2504
    Original Author
    12 years ago

BFs behavior has been a very gradual escalation with very plausible logic (on his side) behind it. My stuff doesn't "go" with the stuff already in the house, I hand him half my money in rent, no say over tv, even stupid stuff like he will pile his shoes on top of mine (am I overreacting about the shoes thing? Seems disrespectful...but if my shoes were on the rack instead of the closet floor, that never would've happened). Housework is for women, he works all day and he'll be god d*mned if he's gonna come home n cook n clean too.
    Never seemed fair, but he makes everything seem
    so reasonable... I'm highly discouraged from discussing our relationship with my friends or family either. Jesus I'm sounding stupid. I should talk to a counselor to get a third party perspective on all this. Of course all you guys are hearing is my side too.
    -DDs "latest b***" included sneaking a boy into the house while we were all sleeping. So BF feels really violated about that.
    So yeah.

• mattie_gt
    12 years ago

"It's not the kid, so much, as the DH not being on the same page."

Same page? DH isn't even in the same library!

DH got nothing whatsoever for your kids' birthdays? Presumably your job is supposed to pay for all those little "extras" like birthday presents for your kids and his? That same job that you are supposed to risk losing because he cannot go to the effort to find a way to pick up his son from school?

As Dan Savage would say, DTMFA. Seriously. The lack of even a token birthday gift for any child one lives with would do it for me, on its own, even without the rest of the BS.

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

Not even in the same "library" LOL

I don't blame you for not discussing it with family and friends, it is often not helpful. I never complain about my SO because my parents love him and think I am being too demanding and expect too much and he is just the best. Counselor is a better idea.

Sneaking a boy (or a girl) in the house is not a good idea, I would be livid too. BUT it does not mean one should not buy a birthday gift, discuss with a kid how this is wrong and move on.

Stuff not going with anything in the house I could maybe kind of see...But in combination with other things it is a manifestation of being rude and inconsiderate.

Go talk to a counselor, see third party opinion. Be honest about your own part in all this and see what's next step. If you give him half of your money for rent, you can rent your own apartment with your kids and live in peace and quiet.

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

I just read about the ages...I thought they are both older. 12? So he is not going to buy anything for 12-year-old either? Is he contributing to your gift? Sometimes when we want to buy somehting more substantial we put money together. Would he add money to your gift so it is from both of you? Or nothing?

Heck if SO did not suggest/think of anything to give to DD for holiday/birthday, I don't know...It would probably do it for me too. And she is adult, not living in any geographic proximity to us. But minor kid living with you and no gift? Forget it...

• silversword
    12 years ago

((((kdillon))))

Yes, all we are hearing is your side. But it doesn't really matter. All that matters is this question:

Is this behavior acceptable to me?

I can understand mis-directing anger. I did that with my Dad and SM for YEARS. She's a whiny little ________. Yep, super annoying. But my REAL issue was with Dad, I just didn't want to confront him.

And hey guys, OP and I cross-posted. My "same page" was written BEFORE I read her post about gifts. :)

• justmetoo
    12 years ago

Is it possible that if DD snuck some boy in the house the SS oversaw something? Yeah, she got caught once, but once caught does not necessarily mean it was the one and only time she has done this. Even sitting in the next room with her male friend and getting a bit too overfriendly in fron of the SS? Maybe not, but might explain the sudden extreme display of 'affection' SS's been using. Not unrealistic when one considers a small child should really have no idea of using his body in such a way unless he's seen it (or worse, and no I'm not suggesting your daughter did anything to SS, but she might have planted the new idea). Little kids can be quick and sneaky, spying on big sisters can be great fun.

--" My stuff doesn't "go" with the stuff already in the house, I hand him half my money in rent, no say over tv, even stupid stuff like he will pile his shoes on top of mine (am I overreacting about the shoes thing? Seems disrespectful...but if my shoes were on the rack instead of the closet floor, that never would've happened). Housework is for women, he works all day and he'll be god d*mned if he's gonna come home n cook n clean too. "--

*picking jaw up off the desk*

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

oh good point, maybe SS saw something, maybe not like explicit stuff but something, or maybe he heard behind the door??? or maybe he even spied on purpose? it could explain a lot....

• myfampg
    12 years ago

Omgosh kdillion - I'm not done reading but I HAVE to comment so I don't forget!! My DH ALWAYS tosses his damn size 10 big a$$ shoes right on top of my little size 6 1/2s WHY? I can't get him to stop!! He says oops!

So there -- I feel your pain on this one! Wow it annoys me. Ok I'll finish reading before responding again :)

• myfampg
    12 years ago

I don't really know what to say except I'm so sorry you are not an equal in your relationship. I do know how this feels. It can be very isolating and that is why I am divorced.
    Maybe this is why he is already divorced??

I hope you can get into counseling to help you find your next step. But seriously, all of those things would already have me out the door. It took me 5 yrs to realize that.

• kdillon2504
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone...myfampg...you can contact me directly at kdillon385@yahoo.com.
    I really am not equal. It hurts.

• momof3_stepof1
    12 years ago

I just want to say.....I just read all these now. My dh had absolutely NO say in my ss name. She had ss, named him then called my dh to tell him he was here. My dh doesn't like his name either. He also has her last name. I've been trying to get my dh to get that changed since we now have custody and she's married and lost that name.

My ss also is overly affectionate with my dh. He is almost 11 and still sits on his lap. Even in public. I've tried discouraging it by telling him his friends will make fun of him. He doesn't care. My dh did make him get up the last few times. His bm is also wierd over affectionate with him. One time I actually saw her kiss him and slip him the tongue. It was disturbing beyond belief. SS comes to snuggle with me now since we have custody... I'm ok with it most times but I get grumpy sometimes and want my space. My ds8 has never been that way with me and when he sees ss he immediately wants to snuggle with me too. So sometimes I eat it up... other times I want them to leave me alone! HAHA!

I also think you really need to reevaluate your relationship. Your dh is rude! The kids in our home get treated as equals no ifs ands or buts. I also won't allow my dh to tell me his job is more important then mine. I work hard for my job and I'll not let him beat me down.

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

it is better not to post your direct email address here, you don't know who is reading here

• mkroopy
    12 years ago

"...his damn size 10 big a$$ shoes "

Are you kidding, those are little "European soccer player" size shoes...lol!

• myfampg
    12 years ago

He's a soccer player!! Lol

• silversword
    12 years ago

Amen. Please please please OP....

Contact the Admins of the site and get your email removed. If someone wants to email you privately there is a way you can do that, but please don't use your real name or email here.

• mkroopy
    12 years ago

You mean your real name's not "silversword" ???

• silversword
    12 years ago

You caught me Mkroopy.