SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tagi1

Unlicensed Electrician

10 years ago

Hi everyone! I have been browsing this site for a year now during the construction of our dream home but this is the first time I have actually posted anything.

We just completed construction of our custom designed home. I just learned today that the electrician that our contractor used is not licensed. I was always suspicious since it was his nephew and he had another "day job" and would only work on the weekends. My question is this - what can I do at this point?

We live in GA and I checked with the Secretary of State's office and all electricians must be licensed. We have noticed that we have some electrical problems already (just moved in two months ago) - lights dim whenever we turn on blowdryer, fuse blows every time we plug in vacuum cleaner in great room, thermostat for heated tile floor keeps giving us an error message. I am still waiting for the general contractor to come back and finish up my punch list and have not paid him his final check. Can I withhold some of the final payment because he did not use a licensed electrician? Thanks for your help.

Comments (36)