SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
empjr_gw

4-wire dryer receptacle question

empjr
17 years ago

Ok guys, I'm baaaack. After finding that the receptacle boxes in my basement are not grounded I began grounding them to bare wire in the cables. Then I found that the 4-hole dryer recptacle wasn't grounded either so I pigtailed a #10 bare wire to the bare wire which is connected to the U shaped hole at the top of the receptacle and fastened the other end to a screw in the box which I painted green. When I turned on breaker to the recptacle with the dryer plugged in I heard a snap which sounded like an arc. I turned the power back off and pulled the plug. It had a smudge of black soot on the tip end of the L shaped blade at the bottom which connected to the white neutral wire. Not knowing what I may have done wrong I took it all down and put it back together again making sure all connections are tight and all wires are on the correct blades according to the wiring diagram of the receptacle in the dryer's installation booklet. When I turned on the power again there was no snap and the dryer worked as it should so I thought I had it right.

Now the plot thickens again. Reading both the little that Wiring Simplified has to say about dryer receptacles and the installation instructions that came with the appliance I couldn't find any mention of grounding the receptacle box. So I went into the box again and checked everything carefully. As far as my very limited knowledge goes I don't see any reason why grounding the box in that way should cause the neutral blade to arc like it did and yet everything else is like it should be according to the dryer's installation instructions. So I turned the breaker back on with the plug out and then plugged it in again. Again there was a snap sound when I pushed the plug in and when I pulled it out that same neutral blade was smutty again at the very tip end. When I turned the breaker off and on a few times with the dryer plugged in there was no further snap or smut on the blade and the dryer runs perfect. Can somebody please tell me what I'm doing wrong or not doing right? I'm no professional but I do know how to make good tight connections and can do neat work in boxes and such. Is there a problem with grounding the box the way I did or is it better to just leave it like it was before I started messing with it? I'm sure some of you guys are getting tired of my unending questions but I can't find the answers I need anywhere else but here.

Comments (4)