SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mark_in_ca

XXO 3-track sliders, JeldWen opinions/alternatives?

15 years ago

Summary: any opinions/alternatives to Jeld-Wen's 3 track premium aluminum XXO slider? http://www.jeld-wen.com/windows/aluminum/premalumpatio/product.cfm/product_id/297

I found the Fleetwood Norwood, but the local distributor tells me it's approx 3-4x the price.

I'm trying to maximize the opening width onto two modestly sized balconies (one balcony 15'W x 4'D, one 10'W x 3'D) on the 3rd and 4th floor of a building 2 blocks from the beach in Los Angeles. The first one faces south east and is perpendicular to the ocean, the second faces NE toward the mountains so is facing away from the sun, ocean, and prevailing wind. Rough openings are 13'W x 6'8"H and 8'W x 90"H.

I was originally thinking about a NanaWall or Lanai Door until I saw the cost. Also with the small balconies, the folding doors would interfere with any chairs etc that were inside/outside the door. A local building supply house suggested the Jeld-Wen 3 track slider. I don't know the brand, comments here suggest middle of the road quality.

Are there other alternatives out there? It doesn't look like many of the other companies that make sliders make something like this or an alternative that would provide as large of an opening. The Fleedwood Norwood custom is high end, and they can make it huge, still waiting on a price, but I expect to be high.

What are the compromises with something like the JeldWen? Rough rollers? hard to adjust? This isn't Chicago, low lows are 40, high highs are 90. Normally between 50 & 75.

Thanks!!

Mark

Comment