SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kamlee_gw

Replacing 18 windows --- Thoughts on quotes and window choices

KamLee
10 years ago

Hello all,

I'd like to replace all of our wood windows in our house. The lower portions are awning and the top portions are static. Many are non-functional (won't open), and that is my primary concern; don't think we could fit through the ones that do open in the event of an emergency. As such, I feel they need to be replaced.

I'm seeking quotes for double-hung, vinyl windows. I'd rather not have budget windows, but IâÂÂm not sure were in the spectrum of good-great my choices have fallen. The house is located in eastern Tennessee, which is the North/Central region.

Home Depot came out today and took measurements and gave a quote of $9,522 for their VantagePointe 6100 by Simonton. I assume this quote includes bare minimum features, as argon, low-E, and grids were not discussed. WasnâÂÂt real impressed with this quote as so many details were lacking. I only mention it for feedback on the window choice and benchmark quote.

LoweâÂÂs subsequently came out, measured, and provided an estimate of $8,088. The quote included the Reliabilt 3201 double-hung windows, advanced (I assume âÂÂultraâÂÂ) low-E & argon, half screens, contoured grids (I like that style), and lifetime glass breakage warranty (this was optional). The standard lifetime warranty guarantees against seal failure, material, and working parts. I like that this is transferable as lifetime if we were to ever sell.

There are not many independent window installers in my area. IâÂÂm have two additional estimates from Window World and Champion in the coming week.

Thoughts on the quote from LoweâÂÂs? Are those good windows? The quote seems fair to meâ¦but what do I know :)

Thanks!

This post was edited by KamLee on Sat, May 18, 13 at 15:04

Comments (13)