SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clermont_ohio

How should I protect the receptacles on this circuit?

clermont_ohio
17 years ago

I have a question about a circuit in my home.

Diagram (link below) shows circuit in question, and the outlet numbering is what I surmise to be from source to end of the line. Outlet 9 seems to be end of the line since only one cable enters box. Switch one (S1) controls outdoor light and recessed light in office. Switch two (S2) controls same recessed light and outlet 8.

This circuit is ungrounded, and sadly, there are several 3-prong outlets installed in several spots.

Even more sad, I did not notice this until after being in the home 1.5 years, and 2 of these outlets have power strip/surge suppressors on them.

Unless indicated, outlets are 2-prong. Current or desired use is given for most outlets. Outlets 1 and 3 are basically inaccessible because of bookcases.

1 - inaccessible

2 - outdoor; power tool use

3 - 3-prong (!); inaccessible

4 -

5 - 3-prong (!); power strip with 2 printers, shredder

6 - 3-prong (!); power strip with computer, scanner, router

7 - garage workbench; power tool use

8 - ceiling, 3-prong (!), 20 amp (why 20 amp?); fluorescent lighting

9 - would like to use for 2nd refrigerator someday

Because of the periodic power tool use on outlets 2 and 7, the computer equipment (whose power strips should be on grounded outlets), and the desire for a 2nd fridge, I would think a GFCI would be in order. Outlet 2 would be my first choice so that all downstream outlets would be protected even though not grounded. But I've read GFCI should not be used if downstream receptacles have sensitive items like computers.

What would be the best way of protecting these outlets? Frugality is important. Any comments welcome.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

Comments (5)