SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bindersbee

Peeling Paint- How do I fix this?

bindersbee
13 years ago

We are finishing our basement on a budget. I have a lot of experience painting walls but apparently not quite enough. My neighbors next door just finished their basement and know nothing about painting thus they had someone spray the paint on in their basement. They were kind enough to offer up their leftover primer (Glidden brand) and, trying to stretch my budget, I accepted.

BIG mistake. I have used their primer in 2 places over the bare, clean drywall. In one area, I have painted 2 coats of SW Duration paint over the top. I went to remove the 'sensitive area' painter's tape and it peeled up whole pieces of my paint! It was like there was no primer under it at all!

I will have to re-paint this wall but I'm not sure how. I've never had this happen before. I am thinking of sanding the wall with 150 grit sandpaper to smooth it out and get up any other loose paint. I will then clean and re-prime with the same Zinsser 123 that I've used in the basement bathroom then paint again. Will that work? Other suggestions? I am at a loss here.

Luckily, this happened RIGHT before I was going to paint the other area that had been 'primed' with this stuff. Oh- and as I was finishing applying that primer yesterday the neighbor's kid tells me that they had spilled some mineral spirits into that particular bucket of primer. They never mentioned that when they gave it to me. I'm guessing that is part of the reason for the problems. I will re-prime that bedroom before painting today.

I am trying not to be annoyed as I know they had good intentions and simply didn't know any better but I AM annoyed as it is a setback for me. I thought I knew better! Gah!

Lesson re-learned: NEVER apply $45 gallon paint over cheap primer!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!