SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tamar_422

CS Does Drive Custody Fights

tamar_422
16 years ago

I have posted about my 17 yo SS and his substance abuse and self-injury issues. He has been in residential treatment since March, and should be released by the time school starts in September. His BioMom has moved back to her home in DC, and son has repeatedly said that once he is done with treatment, he wants to go home to dad's house. He misses his younger sibs and he wants to finish his senior year of high school at home. He does not want to go live with BioMom and stepdad in DC.

BioMom has been very vocal in her disagreement with his desire to come home. She says that his peer group will influence son to go back to his old ways. She has as proof a letter that one of son's female friends wrote to BioMom recently to find out how son was doing in rehab. (Remember, these friends don't like me, the evil stepmom, but they love the BioMom who let them drink and party in her basement.) This girl apparently also mentioned to BioMom great parties that are going on this summer, and who got so wasted they passed out. Now, I can't imagine any of my children's friends writing me a note like that - I mean, you just don't tell a mom something like that, let alone a mom whose son is in rehab! I think that says alot about how BioMom parents.

During a counseling session via telephone conference with DD, BioMom, son and counselor, when son mentioned again that he wants to come home, he misses his sibs, BioMom said, "That's great. You'll spend 10 minutes with sibs, then you'll be bored. Then what? And you know you have issues with Tamar!" (Of course, before SS comes home, I would like to understand what those issues are, but I suspect they are the same issues he'd have with BioMom if she ever enforced a curfew, said no drinking, no smoking marijuana in my basement, etc. - you get the drift.)

So, this past week, BioMom has been calling me to "chat." She still isn't working, she knows she needs to find a job, her husband is nagging her. She hasn't worked in the past 5 years, she had quit her social worker position a year before she remarried to plan her wedding. During this time, one or the other son lived with her only for about 12 months total - so does that make her a SAHM? Due to no recent work experience, it's harder to find something in her salary range. They are supporting her husband's 22 yo daughter. I don't think I've ever mentioned this previously. The daughter is mentally ill, anorexic and has attempted suicide twice. She's having a hard time finishing college and it is difficult for her to hold a job. My DH's ex told her new husband she would not marry him so long as daughter lived in his home, so he moved daughter out to her own apartment and pays all her living expenses.

BioMom brought up son's desire to move home with us, saying she thinks it is a very bad idea, he should go to the small high school by her in DC, where he can make all new friends. We talked about her fears, some of which I share, and then I mentioned that DH, who has a legal obligation to pay for college tuition, would like to keep son home his first year or two of college, going to the very good, local community college. For two reasons - we all know what the majority of college students get into when they go away from home, and we've spent close to six figures, out-of-pocket, in the last 6 months for his treatment. BioMom said, "We'll see. He's so bright." I said, "Well, do you have the money to pay for it? We've paid the equivalent of close to 4 years of college tuition on treatment. We just don't have the funds to send him away to college next year." This is when BioMom said no and let it slip that they are having cash flow issues, and they could really use child support. She then corrected herself, but it was too late. She was telling me she couldn't sublet her townhouse in Chicago when she moved back to DC, so she is still on the hook for that rent, and now that she isn't getting CS, she really can't afford it. I tried to feel sorry for her, but really couldn't, because I kept thinking, "She wants son to live with her for the money. What are they going to do in 10 months when he is graduated from high school and not eligible for CS?"

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz