SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alanc23

Question on Andersen tilting in

alanc23
16 years ago

Hi,

Am looking to replace some old windows in my home. Several contractors told me they use Andersen windows so went to Home Depot to look at them.

My present windows fail because a little piece of plastic retains the spring mechanism. Opening the windows more than half way breaks that plastic and then the window won't stay open without help. These are old single pane with storm windows that have come apart.

Andersen windows seem to use a different system to tilt in than the rest of the market. They don't use the obvious buttons at the top of the sash. They have these plastic pieces that you slide down over the top of the ends of the sash to help the locking mechanisms to withdraw when you then pull on the window. This bothers me that this functions depends upon these little plastic pieces. If you don't slide these plastic pieces back up, you could break them when you try to open the upper sash or close the lower sash.

If I have some people cleaning my home, I would either prohibit them from opening the windows or teach them how and hope they don't break these plastic pieces.

Am I being paranoid about Andersen plastic?

Comments (2)