SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
albertdc

272 vs 366 glass? Please help.

13 years ago

In case you haven�t seen my other threads, I am about to replace 25 windows in my house. It is a 1989 Stucco home in Utah. Current windows are double pane, but all the seals are failing and the windows have crummy aluminum frames that transmit cold and completely ice up in the winter. Thus the replacement saga begins.

I am strongly leaning towards the Marvin Integrity line. I am deciding between 272-Argon vs 366-Argon glass. Here are the stats:

272-Argon: U-value 0.31, SHGC 0.33, VT 0.57

366-Argon: U-value 0.30, SHGC 0.20, VT 0.51

We have local energy rebates which require 0.30 or better, so that would push me to the 366 glass. However, the rebates are small in the scheme of the whole project, so I want to be sure that the 366 glass is the right choice in its own right..

We have several 5x5 foot windows facing west and those rooms roast in the summer. We also have a 7x5 foot window facing west. It is my understanding that the 366-Argon glass is a no-brainer for these, right?

How big of a difference is a VT of 0.57 and 0.51? Since we have a lot of large windows with beautiful views, how concerning is the darker tint of the 366 glass? Is it becoming standard to do the whole house with 366 or will it feel like we are wearing sunglasses inside?

Thank you for any feedback.

Comments (19)