SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurilye_gw

I am completely lost for a solution

laurilye
16 years ago

I have a situation, where for about 6 months, my son, his girlfriend and daughter are staying with my husband and I (raising money for housing for college) We had a family business for 40 years, a very comfortable life, long story short, we don't have it now, and lost most of our retirement. Try to believe we are intelligent, people who made it for a long time, and had too much bad luck in too short a stretch. Any way, We do feel responsible to help them save money, because we have all never anticipated the fund we worked our lives for would be taken.

The daughter is 10. Upon moving in, she immediately began an inventory of the house, normal, not a big issue, except where my bedroom and bathroom is concerned. Then things began disappearing. I know this sounds like a total lie, but while vacuuming her room, I knocked a trinket box off the nightstand, and there were several of my things, all from jewelry boxes or nightstands in my bedroom. The stuff she took was not valuable, it was the invasion of my privacy that I am having such a hard time with. Son, and girlfriend have locked their room as have her real father and other relatives shes visits for some time now.

I needed to talk to her about it. I asked the son and mom to be present when I spoke to her about it, not to speak, really, for it was between her and I but to be there for their own comfort, and so she could not claim I was cruel or hateful. She was caught, but never copped to a thing. I had bought her a little outfit that day, and asked her if I would have had I known she was taking things from my bedroom, and I now have it in a drawer. Seems a little harsh to me now, but I believe thats the response she would recieve in the real world. NOt a punishment, a consequence. I told her I would always love her, but this was a terrible hurt and awful way to live with out trust. and could we start over.

Nothing has changed, we have locks on our bedroom, things are misplaced, or taken,it's not the stuff its the disrespect, the loss of privacy and trust is enormously uncomfortable.

She refuses to recollect any rules here as well. I told her she needed to always ask to go on our computer. Her mother wants that supervised. I find her on it about every other day, she looks irritated, and belitteling when i tell her she didnt ask and I won't do again,

Frankly, I just don't feel anything very good toward her the way things are going. The situation is mine alone to handle, there will be no back up or what ever from the mother, and that I can accept. But does that mean I have to real way to have a little trust here.

I had a serious talk about the computer yesterday, and as soon as I left the house for a minute she went online. Just like that. Within l5 minutes of my telling her these are the rules. for the fourth time. NOw I am hot. lol

So Do I stand a chance of being able to develop some love and respect for each other in this little dance, or do I just put in my time and get thru this as best I can. I feel badly about it, but it's just so damn disrespectful, dishonest and arrogant, I feel angry. The anger makes me hesitant to discipline, and be too harsh on someone her age.

Help me, I dont wanna be a wussy, but I dont wanna overreact either.

Help

Thanks

Comments (6)