SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mbartosik_gw

hard to find impact rated with low U value

mbartosik
17 years ago

I live on Long Island (NY), in a 120 mph zoned area, although the town does not rate my street as being in a wind and debris area I like the idea of installing replacement impact rated windows (I am 1 mile from the water).

I am finding it near impossible to find impact rated windows with a low U value (like U 0.20 or even 0.25).

I have a couple of theories on why it is hard to find. To get to U 0.20 needs triple glassing, and combining triple glazing with a thick laminated pane means a lot of glass and makes for a thick and heavy window.

Impact rating is most needed in the south USA and low U values are most needed in the north USA. So the market for both is narrow.

I have been googling the internet for weeks now.

Stanek Windows might have something (I'll call them tomorrow). They use Heat Mirror film instead of a middle pane.

My questions are:

1) Does anyone know of manufactures with impact resistant and low U values (in the same window)?

2) Am I going over board, should I be happy with DP40 rating and a low U value and low air penetration, and forget the impact rating?

Comments (3)