SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leeelson

7 cracked dual pane windows

leeelson
17 years ago

We purchased and installed a large number of dual pane (air), warm edge spacer, casement, fixed and single hung windows about 14 months ago, from Inline (a Canadian company). This new construction is located in Nevada at 5100' and I indicated this when the windows were ordered. About 2 months after installation (in April of '06) 4 of the smaller windows (casement and fixed, facing north) all cracked within a few weeks of each other. The outer glass cracked. Then in October of '06, the same thing happened with a west facing casement window. A week ago (3/12/07) it happened again and today another one cracked while we were nearby. There was a loud bang. In all cases, the 2 parts of the glass on either side of the crack(s) were at different levels, as if something was pushing on the glass causing it to break. The cracks were all very similar in appearance.

So far, the company has refused to accept responsibility for the cracking, saying that they took precautions for the high altitude. I have dealt with the person who sold me the windows, and she has replaced all the windows at her expense, but she is growing tired of this cost.

Unlike the original windows, all the replacements seem to have small (1/4"), circular, partially cut out sections in the spacer. Are these vents of some sort?

Any thoughts on what is going on? Any ammunition to use when I call the company directly?

Comments (19)