SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sugarplumz

What I've Been Up To This Summer (Pic Heavy)

Sugar Plum
11 years ago

Many of you helped me earlier this year in selecting a front door color. Follow up to that... we are replacing the front door, frame, and sidelights due to water damage and wood rot.

So, to occupy my time, I have been helping my daughter get ready to move into her first collect apartment :)

The apartment comes furished with basic furniture (couch, chair, bed, etc.) but no window treatments, art, accessories, or personal touches.

With a shoestring budget, we worked with attic and craigslist finds, fabric scraps and remnants, and deep sale items, and spent the summer working on what my friends dubbed the "Princess Projects" for my daughter.

We started with this rug:

We made this sunburst mirror from wood shims:

I made these curtain panels from painter's drop cloths that I sewed a strip of fabric across:

And made a lot of pillows (seven total), here are a few:

We made a wood frame and stapled fabric to it for a wall hanging:

And made another wall hanging from discontinued leather samples:

We 'recovered' a hideous brown plaid herculon chair by tucking and staple-gunning fabric:

We refinished to attic-find tables, repainted old lamps, and shopped the clearance racks at Marshalls, Ross, etc. for lamps and other accessories.

Finished living room:

And her bedroom (I remade a twin duvet cover into a full/queen, made a bedskirt, curtain panels, etc.)

We had a lot of fun together selecting the fabrics, accessories, and working on all the Princess Projects! I am ready to retire my sewing machine for a bit though :)

I'm sorry for the picture quality, after all our hard work, I documented it on my blurry cell phone camera...

I hope my daughter and her roommates will be cozy, comfortable and will have a successful academic year!

Comments (31)