SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
tannatonk23_fl_z9a

Here's what I've been up to (pics)

tannatonk23_fl_z9a
14 years ago

Hi everyone! I've been so busy with job hunting and family I haven't been visiting our forum much. Check in now and then but just have not had time to post. Sorry if this is off topic but I will include a few pics of my gardens.

I was all ready to let the gardens go until fall when we got a break from the heat so I managed to get a bunch of weeding and trimming done. Things are looking good and I'm ahead of the game. lol!

My son and his family were here from Texas for 3 weeks in July. What a great time we had!!! Zack and Beca have both been in the Air Force for about 10 years and are stationed at Sheppard AFB in Witchia Falls. Zack is an instructor there (A-10 aircraft) and Beca is a dental assistant. My grandson Tyler will be two in September and he took my heart with him back to Texas. He is a doll! Here he is trying a lime. He'll try anything once!

The guys got a lot of fishing time in but had a hard time chasing bass. They caught three gators in about 30 minutes so gave up on the bass. (no gators were harmed!)

{{gwi:921116}}

Here is a stained glass panel that I finally finished! Been working on this off and on since the first of the year.

The hoya australis on the left is growing like crazy! Ditto on the epi oxypetalum on the right.

A couple of days ago there were dozens of butterflies flitting around so I grabbed the camera and practiced patience, which is in short supply these days. lol!

My "Dancing Ladies" globba ginger is blooming for the first time!

And I just love this Brazilian Plume (justicia carnea).

Thanks for letting me share with you. Hope to be back more regularly soon.

~Betsy

Comments (12)

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Great Photos Betsy!! I especially love that beautiful Stained Glass panel, you did an outstanding job...That baby aligator is too cute, but not cute enough for me to hold, LOL...Where did you get the trellis for your Australis Hoya, I just recently started collecting hoyas and have a couple that I would like to get a trellis for, nothing quite as big as yours(mine are not that big yet)...Thanks for sharing your pics!!

• wanda662
    14 years ago

What a cute Grandson! I don't blame you for missing him.
    I love your stain glass picture and all your blooms and butterflies.

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Pug! I got the trellis at Lowes. It's 48" and I had to bend the stakes inward so that it would fit in that 16" pot. I know it's hard to find smaller trellises. Have you checked at Big Lots? When I was working there was a BL store nearby and they carried a lot of neat garden items that I never see anywhere else (at least for a reasonable price).

Wanda, you have no idea how much I miss that little guy. He was my constant sidekick for 3 weeks and he is just delightful!

~Betsy

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info Betsy, I will check our Big Lots next time I'm near one...He is a really cute kid!

• junkyardgirl
    14 years ago

Beautiful photos! Nice looking son, and that grandbaby is adorable!

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    14 years ago

Your stained glass picture is beautiful! I used to do a lot of stained glass stuff years ago. The only thing I have made in the last few years are a few 16" round stepping stones. So, I can appreciate all of the time and work that you put into it.

• lynne_melb
    14 years ago

Betsy, thanks for sharing. Great looking family. Your stained glass is very pretty. Can you ID the plants in your first 2 photos?
    Thanks
    Lynne

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Happy, yes the glass was a lot of work! Some of the pieces were so tiny that by the time I got them wrapped with copper foil you could barely see the glass so I would have to use an exacto knife and trim the copper. I'm happy with how it turned out though.

Lynne, are you asking about the plants the butterflies are on? If so, the Gulf Frit is on pink penta "Starburst" and there are dune sunflowers in the background. The zebra longwing is on purple porterweed.

~Betsy

14 years ago

Betsy,
    How far up the coast do you live? If you live near Daytona I would be interested in where you got your stained glass supplies. The tiny shops around me have such a limited selection.

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Happy, I'm in Palm Coast. I don't see a place on your page to send you an email but if you want to send me one to tonkawatts at yahoo dot com we can talk glass!
    ~Betsy

• annafl
    14 years ago

Betsy, love the pics of your dear family. Very cute boys. I also LOVE that stained glass art. What a beautiful addition to your home. Looks like an incredible amount of hard work. Lastly, your butterfly pics with flower backgrounds of your garden are awesome. Thanks for showing us!

Anna

14 years ago

Ok, Betsy, look for my email tonight.

Christine