SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ranger481vs_gw

choosing both hshg coating and lshg coating??

ranger481vs
13 years ago

I just read through this excellent informational thread in this forum: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/windows/msg0617033220100.html

There are two primary types of soft coat LowE coatings - high solar heat gain (HSHG), which allows more solar heat in during winter and then low solar heat gain (LSHG), which allows less solar heat in, but is more efficient regarding heat loss from the interior.

I am going to replace only the glass on all of the windows in my house in Madison, WI. They are 36yr old casements. I'm interested purchasing LowE, argon filled double pane units with super spacers.

Since I'm in a cold climate, I'm wondering if it make sense to use HSHG coatings on all of my south-facing windows that get a lot of sunlight in winter, but then use LSHG coatings on all of my north-facing windows, which get almost no direct sunlight. If my thinking is correct, I would think this would be the best set-up for my house.

Any thoughts or opinions on this? I will be getting estimates from a couple of local glass companies soon, so I want to make sure I'm educated as I can be!

Thanks in advance.

Comments (27)