SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flseadog

Plantation shutters and Andersen windows

flseadog
16 years ago

I've tried to research this issue on this forum but can't come up with anything. Here is the problem. We are getting the high impact windows and patio doors from Andersen. They are vinyl clad on the outside, wood on the inside and are rated for Category 4 hurricanes (required by code for where I live). I just realized that I need serious light control because the setting Florida sun will be a direct hit on the french doors pretty much all year long.

I'd like to use plantation shutters on both the double hung windows that face west as well as on the french doors. The windows won't be a problem because I won't need to attach the frame to the window but rather to the casing. For the doors, however, I'll need something that moves with the door so that means attaching something to the door whether it is a shade or a plantation shutter. Curtains hung above the door won't work because this will be one of the most used entrances to the house.

I spoke with Andersen and they said it is possible to nail or screw brackets or plantation shutter frames to the door but any damage to the glass or the vinyl exterior will void the warranty. Apparently folks have used nails that were too long and that caused dimpling in the outer vinyl which then deteriorated over time. I have the specs for how far the glass extends into the door beyond the visible portion and also know the thickness of the door so I guess a careful installer could do the work. They recommended against any gluing on the wood because this could damage it and they felt wood putty could fix any nailing mistakes. I guess people really do attach shutters this way because the also recommended extended spindles and handle extenders that would allow the handle to swivel without bumping the shutters.

Has anyone out there done anything like this and would you recommend it? These are expensive doors and I can't afford to mess them up. Thanks

Comments (2)