SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plm999

Replacing a garden window, cost, options?

plm999
16 years ago

Hi,

I'm doing a major kitchen remodel, and it's time for this old aluminum single pane garden window behind the sink to be replaced.

Here's what I'm looking for:

Size: about 36" tall, 60" wide

Construction: Vinyl, dual pane with low E glass

Options: I think I would prefer a casement or awning style opening, but the problem may be getting to the crank (remember there is a 24" countertop between me and the window). The existing window has the two side windows double hung.

The installation will take a bit of skill, as I have a stucco exterior and a new shelf may have to be built, plus I will take 8 inches out of one side to accomodate a corner wall cabinet.

Does anyone have any experience with what I should expect to pay just for the window?

I was initially quoted at $2400 by one company, then (later) they wanted to add another $975 to the labor when the installer took a look at the exterior shelf (apparently the new windows extend out only 14" but the existing one sticks out 16", so the entire shelf must be demo'd). Are all garden windows a fixed depth, is 14" the new standard, or are these guys just trying to fit what they've got? (My house was built in '82).

The interior finishing isn't included, as I'm doing an extensive remodel and my kitchen remodelers will be in a better position to do that.

If any else has experience in this area I would love to hear about it. Seems like ~$3400 is a bit steep, is it?

Thanks

Comments (5)