SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
masakarahashi

temperature fluctuation in a wine cellar

masakarahashi
12 years ago

Hello Everyone!

I recently purchased a WhisperKool 3000 and installed it in a 200 square foot cellar. I oversized the cooling unit as the cellar is located in the garage of my house. The cellar itself is 5 feet by 5 feet by 8 feet high. 3 sides of the cellar is built using 5 inch walls which consists of 2x4 studs with R13 insulation and 3/4 inch drywall (might be 5/8 inch drywall). The 4th side is the outside wall of the house, also using 2x4 studs with R13 insulation with 3/4 inch drywall on the inside and stucco on the outside. The cooling unit is on this wall, thus vents to the outside of the house. The ceiling of the cellar uses 2x6 studs with R19 insulation. The floor is bare concrete.

I put a monitor inside the cellar that takes temperature reading every 5 minutes, and noticed that the air temperature cycles up and down approximately 4-5 degrees every 2-4 hours. Water inside wine bottles fluctuates within 1 degree. In addition, there is good 3-4 degree differential in liquid temperature between the bottom half and top of the wine cellar.

With the WhisperKool set at 56 degrees and it's probe about 3/4 of the way up the rack on the same wall as the cooling unit, the water at the middle of the rack sits between 54-55 degrees. The bottle that is at the very top of the rack (which is just slightly above the top of the WhisperKool unit) sits around 60 degrees. But within each heigh of the racks, liquid temperature seems constant, except for the 1 degree fluctuation along with the air temperature as the cooling unit cycles.

Is this an acceptable fluctuation of temperature? If not, is there any recommendation you can make to further stabilize the temperature? Perhaps the location of the probe for the WhisperKool unit relative to the height/location of the probe? I also have a ceiling light in middle of the cellar, so I was thinking that putting in a ceiling fan to move the air within the cellar more might help? Or is this "good enough" and I should just leave it alone?

Comment (1)

Sponsored