SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_4323755

More process pics; stairs and sink base

User
14 years ago

Hi Folks-

Here are a few pics of our latest tricks; installation of new/old stairs and the sink base cab and countertop. The cherry stair railing and newel posts were from Shingle style homes in Syracuse, NY, purchased at an architectural salvage place, refinished and installed by a local craftsman who only does stairs. He made the treads and risers from local cherry. They replaced the temporary construction stairs we've been living with for two years, so suffice it to say we are thrilled with them on many levels!

The kitchen counters are southern yellow pine bowling alley salvaged from an alley in the Southern Tier of NY, trimmed with local black walnut. Stained (by YT) with Sutherland Welles Light Heart Pine stain, then finished with seven coats of Epifanes Wood Finish Gloss, then three coats of Rubbed Effect Varnish. The sink is a HD special (Pegasus I think) and the base cab was built by our contractor using cab fronts that arrived damaged in a previous kitchen remodel. He patched and glued, and I'm going to paint them when the rest of the kitchen is done (maybe this month!).

Looking at the stairwell, love my BM Navajo Red window:

The upstairs railing is also recycled, it's an old communion rail from a church (and we're atheists, go figure):

Detail of the upstairs railing (they're different):

As much of the whole thing I could get:

Newel post (with the brass switchplate, I bought 20 of them at our local dollar store, go ahead and shudder, I like brass):

Sink:

Countertop:

Next projects are finishing the kitchen and tiling the upstairs "tubroom" bathroom. Hoping it doesn't kill me.

sandyponder

Comments (12)