SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wingal

Replacement windows with dark exterior color

wingal
10 years ago

I've been reading many posts here about replacement windows. It's been an education. I'm talking with three local companies, each of which works with multiple manufacturers. I live in the Denver, CO metro area.

While I love the look of wood windows, which we have now, but we're most likely going with a good vinyl. We plan to stay in this house forever (hopefully 30+ years), so we want good windows.

So far, we're looking at Simonton Impressions, Ply-Gem Premium Series, Great Lakes (I know they're part of Ply-Gem) EcoSmart or UniFrame. I've done some looking into Vanguard, Okna, and Soft-Lite after hearing of them here. None of the folks we've talked to suggest them, mostly, they say, because they're not worth the extra cost compared to the others I mentioned.

From an aesthetics perspective, I really want a dark exterior color (brown or bronze, which we have now in the paint color of the existing wood windows) and a beige or wood interior color. It seems hard to find that combination, and when I do, the exterior color has a much shorter warranty.

The windows will have northern, southern, and eastern exposures here at 5,000+ feet.

Does anyone know of a good window that has a good dark exterior color that lasts?

I read on Soft-Lite site that they warrant their SureCoat colors for 10 years and that the color can be reapplied. Does anyone have experience with the reapplication process? Does it work well?

Comments (8)