SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
comkow_gw

Window or Install Problem?? (Pics)

comkow
16 years ago

We had two new Certainteed Bryn Mawr windows installed in June 2006.

We only replaced those two windows at the time b/c it happens to be a bedroom that the windows are on a corner and the cold wind coming from the northwest gets caught in that outside corner of the house. Since I do not normally use that particular bedroom, I only noticed this issue recently.

There is a large amount of air coming through the channels/sides of both windows. You will see in the picture that my husband took some styrofoam insulation at stuck it in the side of the frames.

It is more obvious on windy days/nights, like last night (here in NY). Also, the night vents leak air as well.

We are planning on replacing approx 10 more windows this coming fall, and now wonder if Certainteed is completely off of our list or just the contractor..lol.

I have to say that the old typical builders grade windows were better than this and now wishing we had the old ones still.

Can someone comment on whether they think this is the window itself, the installation or the insulation surrounding the frame work? I think the contractor, if anything, added insulation when he installed the new windows or is it just a bad install job?

I have not called Certainteed yet, but I can tell you the installer bought the windows from a supply house, but he was not Certainteed "certified". Not sure if that matters though.

TIA.

Comments (5)