SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladyronnie

Epoxy Tutorial with lots of PICS :)

ladyronnie
16 years ago

I am making a new thread for this since the previous one got stale waiting for me to get this done! I did this on a very small project, a little 3" square coaster, mainly in the interest of the time I had to glue the tessarae. You would follow the same steps on a larger project. One thing that is very important, is that your project needs to sit LEVEL! And the bigger the project, the more important it is. So, that said, Here Goes:

First, arrange everything you need AHEAD OF TIME! I learned the first time around that not having something when you have epoxy ready to go is NOT GOOD!

What you need: Your project

--two-part epoxy (resin and hardener)

--measuring cup (I used a tablespoon for small amount)

--container to mix in (straight sided)

--something to mix with (needs a straight side to scrape container sides, I use a plastic picnic knife for small amount)

--a piece of stiff cardboard or a throwaway paintbrush (I have a craft paintbrush that is getting stiffer and stiffer, but I keep using it)

--rubbing alcohol (the only thing that will clean up wet epoxy)

--a rag for wiping your hands, etc (to wet with ALCOHOL, not water)

--something to time for two minutes (watch or clock with second hand, kitchen timer, etc. Not in pic, I used clock on wall)

Measure EQUAL AMOUNTS of resin and hardener into your mixing container, (I quickly wiped out my measuring spoon with alcohol-rag), and begin stirring. Time stirring for TWO MINUTES.

Be sure to scrape sides and bottom of container frequently. Use kind of a whipping action, like hand-whipping egg whites. Mixture will get frothy and even have little bubbles float into the air.

POUR mixture onto your project. You can pour it all in the middle on a small project, pour it all around on a larger one. You can see all the bubbles in this pic:

To be continued...

(I just don't want to accidentally delete this whole thing before I post it! So I'll do it in a few parts.)

Comments (43)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor