SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
try_hard

Try_Hard's granite layout experience (lots of PICS)

try_hard
16 years ago

GW Kitchen Forum - I am almost 5 weeks away from closing on my new construction house. Here is a description of my granite layout experience, which occurred last Friday. This is actually copied over from my personal blog and written with the assumption that my friends and family are reading it, therefore, I speak with a familiar tone and as if my audience is uninformed about granite. You will also recognize that I used a picture of Theresab1's island granite to explain why people attend their layout session. I hope that's okay - if not, somebody speak up and I'll delete the picture.

My granite yard calls my granite "Golden Mountain" but if you google that nothing comes back, so maybe that's just their own name for it. It's 3cm.

Perhaps this post will help those of you with upcoming layout appointments feel better prepared or know what to expect.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Last week the granite people went to the job site and took all the countertop measurements and made wooden templates for the granite and quartz countertops. Today, they brought our granite slabs into the fabrication shop and marked them (according to the templates and measurements) for cutting. They call this part "the layout".

I learned on the GardenWeb Kitchens Forum that it's quite common for people to attend the layout session to work with the granite fabricator to decide the layout. This seems to be particularly popular with people who buy granite that has highly varied patterns and colors and lots of movement. And that certainly describes our granite! I asked Granite-Saleswoman-Donna if I could attend the layout and have a say-so in the plans and she said I could. So this morning I went to the granite shop and worked with Granite-Layout-Guy-Jason to mark the slabs. It took longer than I expected so I ended up using a few hours of vacation time for it, but it was worth it.

I mentioned our granite having lots of movement. Basically that means it has big swirls or large changes in color; the appearance is not uniform or consistent. If you buy granite that has less movement it will be of uniform color and/or pattern and it probably doesn't matter how the layout is done because the whole slab looks the same. For example, here is a close-up picture of a popular granite called New Venetian Gold:

Typically, the whole slab looks just like this. So it usually doesn't really matter from which part you cut the countertops since they will all look basically the same.

But if you go with a granite like this one (Azul Macaubas):

Then you would definitely want to be present at the layout to be sure the granite guy selects your favorite piece/section for your kitchen. Since our granite looks like this:

We definitely wanted a say in which sections and slabs were used in our kitchen.

Our kitchen and butler's pantry will use 2 slabs. One slab is used for the island (48-1/8" x 108") and the other slab will be used for the wall cabinets and butler's pantry. Here is the measurement sheet for our granite:

Both slabs were stored outside last night so they were wet and lightly coated in ice when we started the layout. Granite-Jason uses a white-out pen to mark the slabs and then applies duct tape and stickers to identify measurements, piece location, and edge type. Tape doesn't stick to icy, wet granite so Jason used a hairdryer-thingy and then a small blowtorch to heat up the granite enough to sweat out all the moisture. Here you can see him using the blowtorch.

The wooden things are the templates for the cooktop wall. After much discussion, we decided this was the best place to position the cooktop wall because it included alot of the clear and amber quartzite chunks we liked and the seam, which will be under the cooktop, should not be too noticeable. Here is a close-up of the sample, which shows the clear and amber chunks:

The granite is sitting on this tilting, lifting table:

After he dried the slab we spent about half an hour placing the cooktop wall, oven wall, and butler's pantry templates.

Here is the final, marked-up slab:

And on this one I drew pink lines to show you which sections will be used. The left one is the butler's pantry, the top, small one is the oven wall in the kitchen, and the two on the bottom right are the cooktop wall. You will notice we did not use any of the salt-n-pepper looking stuff on the left side of the slab - we don't like that as well as the other sections.

After finishing the first slab, they moved it back out to the yard and brought in the island slab.

I didn't get a picture of the final markings on the island slab but it will basically be like this. The smaller pink rectangle in the sink.

If everything goes according to schedule, the pieces will be cut next week and installed on Friday, February 28...

try_hard

Comments (25)