SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janesylvia

Patio door, New construction or retrofit? Milgard or Brothers?

janesylvia
15 years ago

I need to have four patio doors and one kitchen 2-pane window replaced. Brothers only does the retrofit. I don't know if the retrofit is also very good compared with New construction.

Brothers' double pane glass is LowE-366 with Argon gas. They only do retrofit. I tried sliding their two-pane window (8' by 6.5'), felt it did not slide that easily. I have the two-pane window across kitchen sink. I have to stretch my arm straight to open it, so easy sliding is important to me. I don't know if that is the problem of Brother's wide two pane window or just happened to be the window I tried. They told me nobody complained. Brother's also come standard with 2-1/4" or 3-1/4" Monterey or Laguna casing.

Milgard standard window glass seems not as good as Brothers. Of course I can request to upgrade it. I am living in the San Francisco bay area. So weather is not that a big issue to consider. They just have the 2-1/4" casing.

So for patio door, is it better to choose new construction or retrofit is as good? Are Brothers' patio door and 2 pane window as good as Milgard's?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Comment (1)