SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charlie_jean

Provia Aeris Sliding Patio Doors - ComforTech TLA-UV or DLA-UV Glass?

charlie jean
6 years ago

Hello -

My home is in the Oakland hills of the Bay Area of California; we get a lot of sun and wind, but overall reasonably temperate.

I was informed by a local installation company that the TLA-UV glass is significantly more expensive than the DLA-UV and that given where I live, the TLA-UV (triple-pane) would not be noticeable, and therefore, unnecessary.

A bit of context on our project:

Due to our need to maintain the integrity of the wood framing and paneling throughout our home, we can only choose a retrofit patio sliding door company.

Our measurements are not standard: 68.5"x 78.5".

We have been thus informed that Anlin, Simonton, Milgard and Provia are our options in California for retrofit patio doors.

We are hesitant to go with Anlin Malibu because of the (unimpressive) look of vinyl for both exterior and interior and the matching hardware.

We are hesitant to go with Milgard because of the fiberglass construction (2 of our 4 patio sliding doors get blasted with sun).

We like the Provia Aeris because of the wood interior option with a vinyl exterior and good selection of hardware (e.g. antique brass).

Please let me know your thoughts on triple versus douple-pane glass on patio sliding doors as well as on Provia Aeris or any other retrofit patio doors, thank you!

Comment (1)

• PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    6 years ago

I've not generally been a huge fan of wood/vinyl combo products, but the Aeris is actually fairly compelling, particularly for a wood interior window, prefinished, at a decent price point. I think that you would be happy with that choice... Regarding double vs triple pane, its relative. Is it less important in your area than in a cold climate like here in WI? Certainly. That said, even a triple pane window will only be a fraction of the thermal performance of your walls. If you do a fair amount of conditioning of your interior air (either heating or cooling), you would not be crazy for choosing it at all if budget allows. If otoh you have you windows open 350 days per year, then why bother ;)