SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ontariomom

Height of transom for 8 foot ceiling

ontariomom
11 years ago

We continue to plod along on our reno/addition project. Currently we are living in a shelled in house. We are stuck with a window in my laundry/craft room that I would love to be lower so I could place a table underneath and fold sort laundry while looking out (it has a nice view too). It is a very new high quality fiberglass window (half operable window/half fixed casement style). However the window is higher than even a kitchen counter height window (45" off ground). One suggestion a designer made was to put a transom over this window and lower it. The cladding material, while nearly done, happens not to be done around this window so not a huge deal to re-install the window and place a transom above at this stage.

My question given the window dimensions are 37 inches tall, and 39 inches across (when measured from outside the jam extensions) can I get away with ordering a transom and essentially bumping the window down with transom on top? All the other windows in our 8 foot house have a consistent header above which I believe will be around 14 inches once trim is installed (right now at the shelled in house state with no drywall, trim etc I measure 16 inches above top of jam extension to i-joist ceiling. I am proposing to place this transom higher than the top of the other windows so the spot where window and transom meets will not be at eye level (in other words I want glass at eye level when standing). Any recommendations on this scenario, or is it ill advised?

Looking forward to your help again.

Carol

Comments (4)