SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
norcalgirl00

Hope this isn't a dumb question - bedroom door open or shut?

norcalgirl78
15 years ago

I have what I hope is not a dumb question...but will certainly reveal the extent of my cluelessness...

BF's DD9 and DD5 have only stayed at our apartment once, for about 9-10 days. During the time they were visiting, they slept in the second bedroom/den, which is directly across the living room from the master bedroom where we sleep. (It is a pretty small apartment).

BF would put them to bed around 8:30 or 9 p.m. and they would pretty much stay in there. They slept with their door open and a nightlight on. I also left the little light on over the stove in the kitchen, and there is a nightlight in the bathroom, too. BF insisted that our bedroom door stay open, partly so he could hear if they were talking/laughing instead of sleeping and partly so they would not wake up in the middle of the night and feel like "where are we", scared, distanced from us, etc. I told him I felt a little uncomfortable sleeping literally in plain sight of them, but did not want them to feel scared so I went along with it.

Last night, in preparation for their upcoming visit, I mentioned to BF that I thought it would be good for us to close our door partially or completely and have them knock during their "bedtime" hours if they needed something, were scared, etc. He thought they would get more accustomed to us being together (in a relationship) if they could "see us" through the open door. (Huh?)

It is not like we are being intimate while they are in the apartment, or anything like that. Maybe I am just being uptight because I am uncomfortable being scrutinized in what I feel like should be our downtime together. They did watch me reading at night, occasionally I would hear a giggle or see one of them across the living room in their doorway. It was cute in a way but I was not sure if it was the right thing. Possibly I need to chill out in a big way because I am not a parent.

My question is - am I out of line to want to sleep unobserved? Is it me being selfish and trying to give them the short end of the stick, so to speak, by shutting our bedroom door after we go to bed, or do they need to learn to accept how to knock on doors when they need something, etc.? Appreciate all views.

Comments (27)