SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrsmaddog_gw

Summer Visitation and Teens

mrsmaddog
15 years ago

Do teenaged children have the right to refuse or limit court ordered summer/Holiday visitation?

Which excuses are ok and which are baloney?

BM has also found excuses to deny visitation.

The first summer, she NEEDED the kids because she was moving. I know moving is hard, and especially a large family into a brand-new house, but does it really take 3 months?

The next summer, SC had vacations or babysitting trips, plus BM's yearly trip, so they came for less than one month.

Now, one SD can only stay for 8 days, and the other SC for 3 weeks. Spring break was out because of friends, Christmas because of babysitting.

Prior to our marriage, DH drove down, stayed a week at BM's (with BM, her SO and all the kids,) drove the SC up here, then drove them back after four weeks and stayed again for a week at BM's timeshare with the whole gang. Well, THAT scenario was not going to happen after our marriage, especially after BM assaulted me.

BM chose to move 850 and now 900 miles away, but tells DH he can always just come there to visit whenever he wants. She knows he cannot, he is self employed and his clientele has quadrupled in the past four years. He cannot just close up shop. The only vacation type time he has taken off was 4 days for our honeymoon, and 4 days for their son's graduation last year. Two of those days were driving, and it costs about the same as flying when factoring in lost earnings.

DH says he cannot force the issue, and perhaps he is right. It just seems to me that they have been allowed and encouraged to have other priorities, especially since I came along and messed up the "kids rule the roost" atmosphere they used to look forward to every summer.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Comments (12)