SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doingygirl_gw

Additional advice needed re: lighting above medicine cabinets

doingygirl
15 years ago

As you may remember from my last post (mirror vs medicine cabinets above sinks) I took the plunge and ordered the recessed cartwright medicine cabinets to go with the cartwright double sink vanity that I have. Now I'm trying to decide which lighting option would look best since I can't use side sconces due to a wall that butts up along one side of the vanity. Once the medicine cabinets are recessed there is about a 3 1/2" depth from the wall to the medicine cabinet surface. Our walls are 10 feet in height so there is plenty of vertical distance above the medicine cabinets. We also have wiring installed for a ceiling mount fixture in the center of the room and a recessed light in the shower stall so there is ample additional lighting.

I'm now also reconsidering having ordered the cartwright medicine cabinet and wondering if I should go with something more like the stainless steel framed inset medicine cabinet since it is only 21 1/4" in width and 1 1/4 depth after installation. This would give me more space from either above or on the sides (possibly, there are only about 5" from the wall to the edge of the facuet) to install lighting although I don't think it would look as nice as the Cartwright medicine cabinet ( our house is an 1890 brownstone with hardwood floors in the bathroom and a clawfoot tub).

I'm sorry for being so indecisive, but I'm just having a really difficult time trying to figure out what lighting and medicine cabinet option will look the best with the space that we have to work with.

Thank you for your time and patience!

Comments (3)