SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
argon_gw

discipline - please help

argon
17 years ago

I posted a few weeks ago under "wife and daughter". Relations between my wife (stepmom) and daughter (14) are not any better. My wife takes all the my daughter does as personal against her. This causes her much stress and she has been withdrawing from me more and more every day. I feel like we are just existing in our house and its only been a few months since we got married. I am beyond frustrated.

My daughter feels as though she can do nothing right in her stepmoms eyes. She is a typical teenager - testing the limits at times and not coming across with the most acceptable attitude. She is not violent, she works 13 hrs. a day and still has chores to do at home. Sometimes she has to be told more than once to get them done.

When we got married wife and I talked about how to handle the kids. Maybe I am nieve (sp) or just not educated on the subject but I thought that we should both be able to discipline each others kids and that they should show us each respect (she has a 17 yr. old living with us as well)

My wife is in nursing school and says that she does not have time or energy to handle the stress but I feel like she takes it all too personal and doesn't see it as typical (although not always acceptable) behavior.

I am at wits end here amd would really appreciate your views. I feel like my wife will up and leave. I love her dearly and do not want that to happen at all. I have tried to talk to her rationally and tell her to not make such an issue out of things but handle them calm and always show love and respect but she gets defensive and thinks that I am just taking up for my daughter. At this rate I'm afraid that she is damaging any chance of having a relationship with my daughter and her response is that she doesn't care!

Should we change it to where I handle my daughter and she handles her son? I don't want to divide the family as "us against them" if you know what I mean.

Your insight is GREATLY appreciated....

Comments (18)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County