SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texaswild

Bathroom Counter Ungrouted

texaswild
16 years ago

Finished gluing but not happy w/the whole mess, but gotta live w/it - glass too expensive to tear out and throw away. Haven't built an album yet, and haven't read instructions on posting pics so w/attempt.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (147)

• shrty411
    16 years ago

OK, I'm running out of words,too. I went to the online thesarus:

blood-tingling*, boss*, breathtaking, electrifying, enchanting, exquisite, fab*, frantic, gripping, hair-raising*, kicky, knockout, large, like wow, lush, mad, magnificent, mind-bending*, mind-blowing*, miraculous, overwhelming, rip-roaring*, riveting, rousing, sensational, shivering, stimulating, stirring, swinging, trembling, wild, wondrous, zero cool*

That should do for now!! LOL
    I love the border, It finishes it off nicely.
    If I was a guest in your house, we'd never visit. I'd be in the bathroom all day!!

Maria

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well these comments this morning just knock my proverbial socks OFF. If y'all don't beat ALL????? I gotta read them again. Gonna try to comment to them: JLYNN - I know where Frisco is. My DD#2 lives in Carrollton - I LOVE the Frisco mall. You're close enough to come visit me in Texarkana. Send me an email to schedule, cuz my DD comes every other weekend. SHELLY - get real - this isn't talent - it's an obsession on steroids. CHICKY: Glad you're back - missed you. GYPSIE: Your email encouragement got me through some tough days. NT - I do NOT look forward to about four hrs. of the grouting process today at that angle w/a back that's had two operations. CAC: not the bathroom door but yes, the toilet - I took the door off my teensy bathroom right after I moved in - in fact I took enough doors off in this house to BUILD a small room. I DO plan to mosaic the outside of my front door. CRAFTY - I had a bad cold w/two re-lapses is why I took time out from gardening to start this project that had sat waiting two months. It all started w/a leak in the faucet. SHRTY - now I'M SPEECHLESS. Y'all made my morning brighter - w/all the grouting ahead of me, after breakfast, it won't be as bad after reading your comments. Y'all make me soooooooooo happy. Thank y'all.

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

Slow, if I lived close to you - I would come over there and grout it for ya.

You are who I want to be when I grow up!

• squirrellycanadian
    16 years ago

What a masterpiece that is! It reminds me of something that may have been at the hacienda (even tho I wasn't there)but by the pics you posted I can imagine it there. You'll have to come up with a name for your mosaiced hacienda!

• bugster
    16 years ago

AWESOME!! I have to agree with the others, I'm not sure what you didn't like about it. I see every color of the rainbow and then some. Every shape and the texture, everything is fabulous! Your work reminds me of being a kid and one of my most favorite treats in the whole world was a new box of 96 count crayons. I absolutely love it. You are truly inspiring!!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

NT. That is an awesome statement. Just under four hrs. and I'm done - w/an aching back, starving cuz I couldn't stop for lunch, and ready for a sitting-down project after this puppy. Your talent and the things you produce w/it I can only dream and wish I had. SQUIRELLY and BUGSTER: How about Rainbow Stew, as in Merle Haggard's song? I hear you, BUGSTER, on the crayons. I named one of my quilts for my GD "Nana's Coloring Book". It was about as eclectic as this mosaic. If I EVER have an idea of using the glass/rock garland border for something else, I WON'T GROUT IT? What a JOB. I finally gave up caring when I reached the frog sitting in the right corner. The whole thing probably could use a vinegar washdown, but NOT TODAY. Going for lunch and a COLD BEER. It's five o'clock somewhere. Oh, the switchplate isn't grouted yet - gotta work on it a little more.

• barbfrizzell1955
    16 years ago

You grouted that in 4 hours???? It took me almost 4 hours to grout my watering can and bowling ball.

Slow, you just amaze, inspire and overwhelm me with your talent and speed!!!! I agree with NT, I want to be just like you when I grow up! Another fabulous project completed!

Barb

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

WOOOOWWWW, SLow!!! Quite a work of art!!! I just love your choices on the design such as the top with the glass gobs, the hummingbird is just a beautiful accent, the mirrored edge, ALL the colors, The arched mirrors on the backsplash, etc, etc, etc. Just WONDERFUL!!! THIS SHOULD DEFINITELY BE FEATURED IN A MAGAZINE! I hope you had 2 beers!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OH NO, CRAFTY: Just the backsplash in four hrs. I had already grouted the counter - that was two hrs. Thanks, but I'm still learning - sooooo much I need to know about design, but guess I'm too busy to stop and study, so I go speeding along w/no direction.

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

OOOOOOHHHHHHHH! LONG LIVE THE QUEEN! I agree this belongs in a feature piece in a magazine! STUNNING!!!! It's IS AMAZING! You are AMAZING! Thankyou for sharing this whole process with us, I've really been inspired...

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks y'all. I'm too busy to bother w/that stuff. Having y'alls' approval is all I need for rewards. Thanks again - y'all make me feel sooooooooooo good.

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

Very, VERY nice job.

Thanks for fixing that black line, btw - integrates nicely now!!

Let me know when your house goes up for sale . . . I may think of moving there to get that bathroom!!!

Congratulations.

• nanatricia
    16 years ago

WOW!!!WOW!!!WOW!!!! I have no words everone said it .It is so great .

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Had to go to the thesaurus again

admirable, amazing, astonishing, astounding, awe-inspiring, awesome, brilliant, cool*, divine*, dynamite*, enjoyable, excellent, extraordinary, fabulous, fantastic, fine, groovy*, incredible, magnificent, marvelous, miraculous, outstanding, peachy*, phenomenal, pleasant, pleasing, prime, remarkable, sensational, something else*, staggering, startling, strange, stupendous, super, superb, surprising, swell, terrific, too much*, tremendous, unheard-of, wondrous

Can't wait to see the toilet

Maria

• hrsg
    16 years ago

Stunning work slowmedown! Amazing flow to the whole project.

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

Ahhh, it's grouted! Such eye candy!!! Maria says it all!!!
    6hrs of grouting, I'd be in heaven!!! I raise my glass of diet dr.pepper to you! Cheers!

• girlgroupgirl
    16 years ago

Geeze, Slow! That must feel like you are peein' in the Taj mahal (the place, not the man!!!) WOW it's the lap of luxury!!

girlgroupgirl

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Best way to wake up I know, is feasting on the wonderful things y'all say. I maybe DID saunter in there a couple times yesterday afternoon just to look at it. I really am happy w/it now, thanks to the encouraging rootin' section y'all make up. WENCH - to get those pieces out took a screwdriver and hammer. That mortar puts things down to STAY. My DD w/sell this house when I move to Heaven, but my HM says "she can't sell this house, we'll have to burn it". Thanks again for cheering me on. It was an experience - not all bad.

• stjohnsgypsy
    16 years ago

If I were to be constipated..that's the bathroom to be plugged up in I tell ya......could stay in there for hours sitting and admiring! This is a masterpiece that sets the records! Truly just brillant Slow........It's worthy of the great royalty you are!!!! The Queen!!! Fireworks to you!!!!! Throwing roses to you!!!!! You just raised the value of your house!!!!!!!!!!

• bugster
    16 years ago

Not that you've given any of us crazy ideas or anything, but... how would you have handled the glass/rock garland border differently? Just use thicker mortar? Also, the edge of the counter, did apply to the wood or put concrete backer board on it?

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Holy quadruple dawg snot!!!
    I've missed reading this thread for a few days, but today I've gotten caught up. WOW Slow!! That is just so beautiful. I can't believe you were unhappy with it to begin with. See what you ended up with?? You are so incredibly awesome.

• Shades_of_idaho
    16 years ago

WOW Slow. I just got back to this thread and enjoyed reading it and watching your progress and not having to wait any longer than it took me to read to see the finished deal. JUST WOW You have inspired me so much. Your work is just BEAUTIFUL!!!

I always lived in flip houses and this time I told hubby I was not moving again. You think he might get a little excited when he sees something like this starting in the guest bath??? Heheheh. I am so in aw. I know I could never create anything as beautiful as what you have just done here but I am going to certainly do something to that awful counter. Since we do sort of need a new sink in there I will just remove the old one with an oh gee it feel out. The kitties will be furious because this is their favorite watering hole and I will have to cover the hole to keep them from falling into the cupboard. One is not the brightest little guy.

OH Man Slow This one goes in my inspiration file and maybe even my desktop for awhile. WOW

Thanks for keeping with it.

Chris

• Shades_of_idaho
    16 years ago

Forgot to say. I also removed doors in this house. No room in master bedroom for two doors, bath and closet, so added lace curtains. Then removed what was office door and now it is the guest room so sewed up grandmothers pretty table cloth and two more layers for a door. If guests do not like it then there is a motel 2 miles down the road. Shrug. No complaints so far. Then removed sliding closet doors in office and guest room. I think I could also build another room with all them doors. It just makes a house live so much larger with doors gone. Hubby just had mouth hanging open as I started removing doors and hauling them to his shop loft. :^)))

Chris

• gibsona
    16 years ago

Slow,
    There is just not much left to say except, in the words of my teen-age daughter - You're the bomb!!! :) That is just so incredible. I look forward to coming in every morning just so I can see your progress. There's now a whole group of women that come over to my desk to admire your work. You are definitely an inspiration to all of us!
    Sit back and have another cold one for me!
    Take Care.
    Ann

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, BOY, was I busy on this project yesterday!!! Helped HM put the white tiles back in place. It was like an OR nurse in a major operation. I think I would have used less energy had I done it myself. Anticipating his every need, cleaning up after him, running to the workshop for tools I HADN'T anticipated, setting up the wet saw, cleaning the tiles, mixing mortar - the list goes on. I am STILL tired. I DID learn a couple tricks from the master, though, on measuring for cuts and using the wet saw. He used the blade to clean the concrete/mortar off the old tiles and to smooth the edges. WHAT a revelation! I LOVE that wet saw even more now. GYPSIE! What can I say - you crack me UP. BUGSTER, After studying the situation and the way it looks after it was cleaned and dry, I suppose I'm satisfied w/grouting the garland. Probably wouldn't have looked finished it they'd just been glued on. The front edge, as I mentioned earlier, was 3/4" plywood and 1/4" hardibacker. I covered it w/mortar and stuck the mirror tiles into the mortar. BAMA - quadruple, huh - WOW, thanks. SHADES - wash your mouth w/soap - the marvelous mannequin disputes what you said. Yours w/be over the top beautiful. I'm blown away again by your comments. Y'all have NO IDEA of how they make me feel. Thank y'all so very much for encouraging me to keep on keeping on.

• rosemarythyme
    16 years ago

SLOW: I'm slow in saying this but your vanity and backsplash are MAGNIFICANT! Believe it or not everyone, this looks even more glorious in person because you can see the mirror and sconces too! BRAVO!!

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

WOW!! What a treat to pop in this morning and see it finished. I'm just green with envy! your talent is amazing.
    I love how your work just flows out of you, without a plan.
    It's unreal Slow! Just Amazing.

Hazie

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Rosie - I was sure that was the case!!

I just keep going back and looking at it and discovering new things in there

Maria

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Worked on that project until about two hrs. ago and THEN grouted the "Quick Fix" pedestal. Still haven't cleaned the b.r. and moved back in, but it's in the process. This pic shows the white tiles back in place and the cabinet painted and a little more of the front edging. Thank y'all again for your generous comments.

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

Ah slow - I hope you have your feet up and a cool adult beverage in your hand. You certainly earned one this week!

• Shades_of_idaho
    16 years ago

And yet another WOW from me. Had to come back because I showed your pictures to a friend today and she was also stunned on how wonderful it all was. She MADE me stop in at a restaurant that had a mosaic in their bathroom about 200 miles away on my way by. Well Talk about ho hum. I was trying to remember where the pictures were I took of it. Slow your bathroom is so much better. !!!

Chris

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

JUST NOW, WENCH. I worked past five, cleaning/moving back in until ROSIE/DH came by for a short visit and I lost my steam. Few paint touchups, switchplate to finish/grout, art to hang and I'm D.O.N.E!

• klinger
    16 years ago

Wow, slow, I'm sure glad I came to look at your wip again. It turned out so wonderful. I just love the humming bird and all the wonderful little hearts that are in the pattern. What a huge job, and it turned out so wonderful, you're going to feel a wonderful sense of pride everytime you see it now. Just love it, and a hi to Rosie, hope you;re doing fine,
    Cindylw

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

Slow, How about a stand back at the doorway shot?So we can feel like we are walking in and seeing the mirror and whole shimolie!!!

• Bright199
    16 years ago

Havn't posted here for awhile.. been hanging out mostly at the junkyard... but I check on you all once in awhile just to see what your up to. I have to tell you Slow... That is soo you and TOTALLY AWSOME!!!! I wouldn't want to use it cause it would get dirty!! Hee, hee!!! Just beautiful.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

W/take a pic later of entry/exit and mirror/sconces. Still a few teensy things to do in there. HM in there now extending the pull thingy for the sink stopper. Since I chose to put the faucets in the corner, the pull bar underneath doesn't fit so he has to make one. Oh, he DOES indulge my crazy ideas. Thanks, y'all. It was different this morning w/the new set up. I don't have the convenience of the little sliding doored medicine cabinets that housed all my morning routing stuff - I'm a stickler for decor, so keep toothbrush, contact lens stuff, makeup, etc. hidden, and my hanging magnifying mirror to put on the morning "mask" to greet the public, so have had to rearrange things. 'twas interesting, to say the least, but I LOVE the whole room now better, and am sooooooo anxious to mosaic the toilet now.

• sunshine_funshine
    16 years ago

Hey Slow-I am so envious of your abilities. Stamina, artistic eye, and perseverance! I am new to this forum and mosaics in general. I have high hopes for some big projects and you have inspired me to move forward! Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to see the toilet!

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Queenie!!!!!!!!!!please forgive me for being at the bottom of the comments.I got a new computer and was out of commission for a while! I have to tell you as you know you are my IDOL,there are no more words to use that haven't been said .It is out of this world..you have to enter it in the contest also or the next one if you don't want to go against shades both of you could win the contest hands down.I have to tell you I am Las Vegas and none of the bright lights sparkle like your piece of art...truly is amazing Slow!!!Thats why we all love you so much you have no fear just do your thing and everything is spectacular!Annie

• cindee11461
    16 years ago

I came over here to check out the mosaics. I can't even describe how beautiful your work is. This bathroom counter is a masterpiece. You are a true artist and a awesome crafter!!!!

• crystal01
    16 years ago

This is wonderful! I love the colors!

I need to work on contrast. You inspire me.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

'morning y'all. Thank you again for the comments I didn't acknowledge. Welcome, SUNSHINE. Have you started anything yet? Get crackin' - you'll love it. CRACK: I'm too busy to bother w/entering contests, but thanks. CINDEE - miss your stuff on the junk side, but I just can't monitor two forums anymore - many thanks. CRYSTAL: I DO love contrast. I need do the paint touchups, and seal it all, and dang it, I lost the screws for the switchplate. Finally got it grouted. Have to buy another one just for the screws. Soooo unorganized. I put them in a spot where I'd be suuuuure and find them.

• susiesunshine
    16 years ago

WELLLLLL>>>>> as my baby Texan Brother would say....
    welll bust my britches !!!! that is a sight for sore eyes !!!!
    it is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    amazing...
    I've very seldom been speechless... but you take the cake!!!
    What in the world have you done to me....now you've gone and done it..........
    You've made me crazy with desire !!!!!! Yes , it's true...
    i"ve been bitten by the bug...
    the gluing, grouting, glass, marble what ever... B U G !!!
    all from reading this post !!!!
    I don't know whether to SHOUT ~ Sing ~ clap my hands ~~~
    jump up and down ~~~~ or W H A T !!!!
    It was an amazing T R I P for me just reading and
    L O '~' O K I N G at these pictures !!!!
    THANK YA __ T H A N K YA ===== T H A N K YA !!!!!!!!
    God Bless You and your tallent and Fantastic Work !!!
    Thank you for sharing and thank you for inspiring me...
    that I can at least do S O MN/THN !!!!!
    ***** H A P P Y * * * * HOLIDAYS !!!
    M E R R Y + C H R I S T M A S !!!!!!
    God Bless!
    susiesunshine
    PS I AM A TEXAN TOOOOOOO!!!!! hope I drank the same water as you..... born in Odessa, Tx lived in FRISCO, TX - before I moved to Rockford, IL !!! (now I'm Freezing!!!)
    but perhaps I can WARM up if I learn to follow in your footsteps!!!!

• emtnest
    16 years ago

WOWzer... that is ultra beautiful!!!!! Glad this came back up cuz being a newbie here I had not seen it....that is really something...

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Isn't it though?
    This is one of my major inspirational pieces.
    Slow's the queen!

• lovesrocks
    16 years ago

ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS-AMAZING!!!! Thanks for pulling this up-it is very inspirational, incredible!!!!

• flagtruck
    16 years ago

I don't know what to say that hasn't been said except "excellent job" It would have taken me that long to get all my stuff gathered up to do it! I guess you were more organized than me? I am still grouting my kitchen backsplash! I have one more section to do. I know you have got to be the fastest in The West.. Good job and beautiful results. Carol

• crackedincolorado
    16 years ago

Ditto what everyone else said! So when is the sleepover? I just want to take a nice long hot bath in your gorgeous bathroom!

• WUVIE
    16 years ago

Pardon my tardiness, but I'm new to this counter,
    and am in awe. How very beautiful! From the first
    post, I thought of Luna Parc, and that is a high
    compliment!

You should be proud! How creative!

Two thumbs and all my toes up, what a great job!

Karen Marie

• texaswild
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well lookey here. How nice to get these compliments. I'm thoroughly enjoying my new bathroom. It pleases me every time I go in there. SOME day, I hope to mosaic the toilet. Things keep breaking in line to TBM. FLAG - not organized AT ALL. CRACKED - only a shower in there, but come sleep over anyway - how about at the workshop in March??? LUNA PARC huh? My my - what a compliment. That's one of my favorite sites. Had I started mosaicing earlier in life, that's what I'd wish for my house/gardens. Thanks again, y'all.

• cindiloo
    16 years ago

CONGRATULATIONS on the MOST AMAZING bathroom in the WHOLE WIDE WORLD!!! I just know it must be! You are an AWESOME artist! I just HATE my bathroom now....stupid plain walls...stupid boring counter...someday I hope to be as talented and brave as you are and just go for it! THANK YOU for sharing all the pics!!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES