SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennm_gw

windows inside shower -- help!

jennm
17 years ago

I just posted this in the bathroom forum, but I thought some of you windows experts might be able to help me too.

We are renovating our 1930s house (bathrooms, kitchen, other stuff, not changing the home's footprint).

We'll have a large oval shower in the master bathroom with space for two to shower. My architect has spec'd two obscure glass wood casement windows.

Is this crazy? Are we inviting moisture and rotting problems, or if we seal properly and use marine paint, etc., will we be okay? The shower is sufficiently large that the water shouldn't be raining down on the windows, but they certainly will get some moisture --it's a shower, after all!

What would be a sensible alternative? Neither vinyl nor glass block is a good solution for this home, architecturally speaking. WHen I pushed my architect on this (he initially said he thought the wood would be fine if we maintained it) he suggested the possibility of a steel window from a company called Torrance Windows.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or warnings? I really don't want to set ourselves up for obvious and preventable problems down the road!

thanks in advance.

Jenn

Comments (2)